Moderator Control Panel ]

Two different soldiers same regimental number?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Two different soldiers same regimental number?

Postby bostonbelle » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:38 am

In common with a lot of other people, on trying to trace my Grandfather's (Walter Frederick Stuart Robinson) First World War records, no trace was found. I thought I found his Medal Index Card (Walter F S Robinson) and it stated he was in the Army Service Corp (which tallies with his cap badge in a photo of him). It also stated his Regimental Number was T4/107911 and M4/107911 (the second prefix being slightly different as he had been transferred - according to the medal card). I noticed that Ancestry had recently uploaded a new set of records for "British Army Service Records 1914-1920" and upon inserting the above Regimental Number a set of records appeared for a completely different person (i.e. John Hoare of Buckfastleigh, Devon). I was under the impression that Regimental Numbers were issued to each individual and were not duplicated. Any ideas?
bostonbelle

Re: Two different soldiers same regimental number?

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:28 pm

They aren't Army numbers nor even Regimental numbers. A typical infantry regiment might have 6 soldiers with the same number. Never mind duplicates between regiments. Each series would probably have been administered by a different office.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby bostonbelle » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:53 pm

Thanks for this Adrian. I just assumed that the number on the Medal Index Card and on the Attestation Form related to a Regimental Number.
bostonbelle

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:17 pm

A not unreasonable assumption...

If anyone wants gory detail, then I recommend the blog "Army Service Numbers 1881-1918" on http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.co.u ... index.html

Funnily enough, it begins to make sense if you realise that each number series was administered by one office - how (e.g.) would Chester's battalion office know what the next number was if Knutsford had just recruited a load of soldiers into the same regiment and they were supposed to use the same series?
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby bostonbelle » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:36 am

Yes, what you say makes much more sense when you think about it! Thanks.
bostonbelle

Return to Military help