Moderator Control Panel ]

A Likely Story!

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

A Likely Story!

Postby Pam Phillips » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:10 am

I do not know what my grandfather did during WW1. His name was Charles Herbert Edward Goodall, born Feb 1879, married with 3 children, living in Harlesden, London, at the outbreak of war. According to a scornful outburst by my aunt, who was 10 in 1914, he joined up voluntarily, leaving his wife to take in lodgers to make ends meet. She said he spent a "cushy" war, in the Pays Corps, in Scotland! I can find no records, so assume they were lost in the WW2 bombing. How likely is this story?
Pam
Pam Phillips

Re: A Likely Story!

Postby junkers » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:27 pm

I think that some of it might be true given his age, there are some medal record cards at The National Archives (TNA) but they do not include enough details online or on the cards to establish whether it is the right person. I would doubt that the Pay Corps would be in Scotland, but some people would have to worked in it, but I would expect existing War Office staff would be working there.

If he was in Scotland I am sure he would have taken his family and men were pressurised by social views that men should be fighting and would be challenged in the street unless they had been fighting and had been injured. Taking in lodgers would not be unusual. Have you considered asking TNA, they have a 'live-chat' for research issues from Tuesdays to Fridays 1 pm to 4 pm.
junkers

Postby brunes08 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:24 pm

Where have you looked for possible records ? Ancestry lists a large number of military records for "Charles Goodall" - obviously not an uncommon name. Some entries are for Charles Herbert Goodall. Many are listed as Herbert - he could have used one of his names.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby g w aldous » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:19 am

yes it is a likely story, members of the paycorps are based wherever the troops are how else will they get payed, so he could have spent the war in scotland or anywhere else.
g w aldous

Postby Pam Phillips » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:40 pm

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. Yes he was always known as Bert, so I will recheck the Ancestry records. Though is it not true that he would only have received a medal if he had served abroad, which I understand he didn't.
I am very ignorant on military matters, is the Pay Corps a separate entity, or did each regiment have one?
Pam
Pam Phillips

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:24 pm

Pam Phillips wrote: ... is it not true that he would only have received a medal if he had served abroad, which I understand he didn't ....
Pam

Under all normal circumstances, anyone in the Army would only receive a campaign medal if they served outside the UK during WW1. Remember, Ireland was inside the UK at this time, should it be relevant.

Pam Phillips wrote: ... is the Pay Corps a separate entity, or did each regiment have one?

A good question, especially given the confusion in other Corps - e.g. some regiments had their own cyclists, but there was also a separate Army Cyclist Corps.

See http://www.wartimememoriesproject.com/g ... pay-gw.php So far as I can see, soldiers inside each battalion / regiment / whatever did the actual paying, and the Army Pay Corps were a separate entity that were akin to accountants supervising.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby g w aldous » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:59 am

Adrian is correct most regt's have there own staff to administer pay, your ancestor would probably have been in an office overseeing an area or commands accounts so like we have branches of banks he would have been in one of the regional head offfices.
Or he may have been responsible for transport of the pay from rail Etc to the barracks.
g w aldous

Postby Pam Phillips » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:01 pm

Thank you again for all your help. A clearer picture is emerging.
I have found this Medal Roll on Ancestry for Chas. Herbert Goodall, in the Royal Garrison Artillery, but I do not understand all the abbreviations. Where can I look these up?
Pam
Attachments
Medal Roll.JPG
Medal Roll.JPG (131.79 KiB) Viewed 2876 times
Pam Phillips

Postby junkers » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:56 pm

Paragraph XXXVA of K R (King's Regulations) apparently 'relates' to being surplus to military requirements' (just type King's Regulations into a search engine), I am not sure about the one below but A G should be Adjutant General, W O L may mean War Office letter.

The description of him (assuming there is no one else of the same name) as Gunner doesn't fit in with him being in the Pay Corps. The National Archives have the actual Medal Rolls and there might be some information there but given he joined in 1915 he should have got at least one medal
junkers

Postby Pam Phillips » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:02 pm

Thank you again for your help. I have been through the records on Ancestry again, but with so many of that name, and many with no addresses, have not found him. I have checked through FindmyPast records, with no luck.
I think I must try the Absent Voters' List. Would the list for Harlesden N.W. London be at the Metropolitan Archive?
By the way, I have found the records for 4 of his brothers, some very detailed.
Pam
Pam Phillips

Next

Return to Military help