Moderator Control Panel ]

Historical Records Or Junk Mail?

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

Historical Records Or Junk Mail?

Postby Admin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:26 pm

Comment on Alan's latest blog - [url=http://www.bbcwhodoyouthinkyouare.co.uk/localhistory.php]Click here to read it.[/url]
If you have any technical difficulties, email EdwardHerbert@magazine-services.co.uk
Admin

RE: Historical Records Or Junk Mail?

Postby margaretabram » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:30 am

I think that keeping all the take-away flyers would be a bit over the top, but certainly the first advert of a new enterprise locally could make interesting reading in fifty years time or so. I am sure that others have had the painful experience of going through their late parent's things and trying to decide what would make interesting reading for future geneations. Some of my father's things were from the nineteen fifties and were fascinating. He had old carnival programmes and old town guides and just looking at the maps from the fifties, sixties and seventies was interesting. How to decide what could interest future generations? If it holds your attention now, it certainly will in the future. Just don't hoard so much stuff that the house goes up in flames!
Mags
margaretabram

RE: Historical Records Or Junk Mail?

Postby Broadsword » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:50 pm

If my ancestors stumble across my collection of takeaway menus, I think they'll just learn that I had a penchant for BBQ chicken pizza and mexican food.
Broadsword

Return to Local history