Moderator Control Panel ]

American civil war

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

American civil war

Postby me jue » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:19 pm

Can anyone help with researching the American civil war .I have discovered my 4x gt grandfather from Hyde in England fought for the 2nd Cavalry of the Union Army .He is listed as missing in action on 9th June 1863 (possible deserting). at a battle at Gettysberg. His commander was a soldier name Hooker. His family returned to England soon after .
Any help would be most appreciated .Julie

Sent from my GT-I9100P using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
me jue

Re: American civil war

Postby Editor » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:37 pm

Hi Julie, one of my ancestors also fought in the American Civil War. You are lucky because there are plenty of resources online. Where did you discover the information you have already? There's so much info already online I don't want to repeat it if you've already gone there! I assume you've checked the pension records on Ancestry? I'm lucky because we have family letters that survived but I didn't have much luck with official records. Sounds like you are doing OK so far.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby junkers » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:55 pm

I think that you are referring to the battle of Brandy Station (a large cavalry action) rather than Gettysburg which was in July 1863 and that the Commander was James Hooker.
junkers

Postby me jue » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:56 pm

Thanks for the reply !! I have been searching for this member of my family ,Francis Blackwell for years :-(.he moved from Hyde in the 1850 s to go to DUNDAS CANADA with his family .They are on the 1860 Canadian census.on the 1871 English census his wife and family are back in England (not far from Hyde where i live ) .I always wondered what happened to Francis and by accident came across the record on Ancestry .It says he is missing in action in June 63 but it says see roll of Oct 1864 .....How do i find that ?? I contacted the DUNDAS museum who are very helpful and they said it was not common for people from that area to join the fight so im intrigued why he went ?!......its fascinating :-)

me jue

Postby me jue » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:59 pm

Meant to add ....ive only searched on Ancestry so if you can recommend any sites i would be thrilled . Thanks so much once again .Julie .

me jue

Postby me jue » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:04 pm

Can anyone recommend any web sites on union soldiers from the American civil war .many thanks Julie

me jue

Postby MoVidger » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi Julie, my 2 x g-grandfather and his brother served with the Union Army as well. Not to step on anyone's toes, but I believe the battle to which you refer (9 June 1863) was fought at Beverly Ford, VA. The casualties for this battle were 484 killed or wounded, not including captured (382 soldiers) or missing. Apparently this cavalry operated almost entirely within the enemy's lines, and without support of other troops.

Do you know which company (e.g. "A", "B", "C" etc) of the 2nd Regiment, US Cavalry (Regular Army) he served with? And have you had any luck with finding this regiment's Oct 1864 roll?

I've seen a few brief online records for my ancestor's regiment, and all it says is he was "invalided out" of service in 1863. So I'm left to wonder what the medical grounds were: was he wounded, or suffering the effects of an illness?

Junkers - I think the battle at Brandy Station was on 1 August 1863. ;)

Mo
MoVidger

Postby me jue » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:38 pm

Thanks so much .am struggling to find any searchable soldier sites .found some good info on the battles though .happy searching !!!

me jue

Postby junkers » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:52 pm

Apologies, it was Beverly's Ford and not Brandy Station, I misread the article.
junkers

Postby me jue » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:40 pm

I will look it up .thanks so much

me jue

Next

Return to Military help