Moderator Control Panel ]

James Hargreaves

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

James Hargreaves

Postby ZoeOrrell » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:07 pm

I am trying to locate other ancestors of James Hargreaves (the inventor of the Spinning Jenny' I don't think I am related to him directly as there are Grimshaws from Blackburn and there is that name is in question we believe that they married into Fish at some point but I don't know how they would have got to this as that was. Around the 1850's a whole 150 years after James Hargreaves was born. Any help would be great fully received. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
ZoeOrrell

Re: James Hargreaves

Postby meekhcs » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:48 pm

This is a very broad query. Are you able to be more precise in what you want? Have you carried out any research yourself that you could supply that would help us to help you?
There are lots of Family Trees on Ancestry. These should help you look for a connection.
Sally
meekhcs

Postby ZoeOrrell » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:50 pm

Sorry Sally, my great great grandfather was an Arthur Fish who married an Florence Jane Grimshaw she was born in 1880 to parents James Grimshaw and Jane Fish they married in 1887. Yes another Fish I believe from my grandma that they were cousins. This is where I get confused because firstly I can't find a birth record around the area of Blackburn that looks right.

ZoeOrrell

Postby meekhcs » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:17 pm

I have looked on Ancestry at the tree for James Hargreaves and whilst it lists his wife as Elizabeth Grimshaw it gives absolutely no details for her, so it is impossible to find anything from the tree.
You may find some luck through google by entering hername.
If not, your best shot is therefore going to be to work back from the info you have.
I realise it may be laborious, but to give us the best chance of helping you list EVERYTHING you have,in the fullest detail-dates, places etc-and we will see if we can help.
Sally
meekhcs

Postby Sylcec » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:36 pm

Zoe - I think you may be fairly new to genealogical research, so another very important point to add to Sally's replies: always, Always, ALWAYS work back from what you KNOW. An amazing amount of time can be and usually is wasted in trying to link a family to some famous historical figure, based on family legend, without knowing anything about the in-between generations.

So, in your case, I think you need to work back from James Grimshaw and Jane Fish - you also need to back up your research with birth and marriage certificates. However, you should be able to do a substantial amount of work by tracing your Grimshaw and Fish families back through the censuses.
Sylcec

Postby Sylcec » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:46 pm

Jane and Arthur married in 1909. Yes, she names her father as James, but her age indicates a birth in about 1883. The 1891 census shows this household:
Name: James Grimshaw
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1854
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Jane Grimshaw
Where born: Blackburn, Lancashire, England
Civil Parish: Rishton
Ecclesiastical parish: St Peter and St Paul
Town: Rishton
County/Island: Lancashire
Registration District: Blackburn
Sub-registration District: Harwood
ED, institution, or vessel: 19
Piece: 3393
Folio: 141A
Page Number: 19
Household Members:
Name Age
James Grimshaw 37
Jane Grimshaw 36
Richard Grimshaw 11
Florence J Grimshaw 8
Gertrude Grimshaw 5
Alice M Grimshaw 4
Selina B Grimshaw 1
Patrick Ogrady 20
Betsy Birkett 24
Gilbert Preston 14

This is probably the index ref for Florence's birth:
Births Sep 1882: Grimshaw Florence Jane Blackburn 8e 502
Sylcec

Postby Sylcec » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:53 pm

Marriage of James Grimshaw to Jane Fish:
Marriages Dec 1877
FISH Jane Blackburn 8e 473
Grimshaw James Blackburn 8e 473

If you look at the 1881 census you will see that the couple have son Richard and twin daughters aged 5 months - Jane and Florence. Almost certainly these little girls died and then your ancestor Florence Jane was named for both of them.
Name: James Grimshaw
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1854
Relationship to Head: Head
Spouse: Jane Grimshaw
Where born: Blackburn, Lancashire, England

Civil Parish: Livesey
County/Island: Lancashire
Street Address: Feniscliffe
Marital Status: Married

Registration District: Blackburn
Sub-registration District: Witton
ED, institution, or vessel: 10
Piece: 4211
Folio: 104
Page Number: 34
Household Members:
Name Age
James Grimshaw 27
Jane Grimshaw 26
Richard Grimshaw 1
Jane Grimshaw 5m
Florence Grimshaw 5m
Thomas Thompson 20
Thomas Ireland 19
Hannah Seed 17
Sylcec

Postby ZoeOrrell » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:09 pm

Thank you that ties in exactly what I'm lead to believe thank you.

ZoeOrrell

Postby generalbilly » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:37 pm

Zoe

My English paternal grandmother told me that we were related to James Hargreaves. I was probably around 12 years old in the 1960 s. She was born in 1894 in Blackburn , Lancashire. She told me the story of the spinning jenny and how locals smashed it. She showed me a book that she had that is long gone. I don t have much more to add but I m interested in my family history.

Bill
generalbilly

Postby StevenW79 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:48 pm

I've been starting to wonder if I am indeed related to James Hargreaves. I have Hargreaves ancestors who are from the Accrington area of Lancashire, and James' birthplace Oswaldtwistle is right by it. I know my 5x-gt-grandparents - (my 5x-gt-grandfather being a Hargreaves) married in 1791 in that area. What do you reckon?
StevenW79

Next

Return to General research queries