Moderator Control Panel ]

Thomas Wilson b. Hamilton, Lanarkshire, 1810

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Thomas Wilson b. Hamilton, Lanarkshire, 1810

Postby janetw » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:43 am

1851 and 1861 censuses tell me that Thomas Wilson was born at Hamilton, Lanarkshire, in 1810, but I have come to wondering whether rather than this being either the township or parish, that Thomas may in fact have been born closer to the Baillieston/Bargeddie area. His marriage to Helen Crichton took place at the Tollcross Church in 1835, and as I write this I have realised that I do not know exactly where this church was located; was it at Shettleston. The 1841 census sees the couple at 'Main Hill', Thomas a male servant. Alexander Findlay was listed as a farmer at 'Main Hill', and others listed there were the families of John Waddell a male servant, and Thomas Brown an agricultural labourer. 1851 sees Thomas listed as a carter and spirit dealer of Edinburgh Road, Baillieston, and still at Baillieston in 1861 he appears as a coal contractor employing seven boatmen and 4 wagoners. Baptisms of the children from the marriage took place at Tollcross until 1845, and from 1849 were at Crosshill. I'm wondering if anyone can give me any help with any of this, as a conversation recently, led me to think that there may have been a 'Hamilton Farm' in the Baillieston area and perhaps 'Main Hill' was close by. Thomas' death certificate indicates that he was the son of James Wilson, but does not name his mother. Perhaps I have been looking too far afield for Thomas' origins. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
janetw

Re: Thomas Wilson b. Hamilton, Lanarkshire, 1810

Postby isobelc » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:22 pm

Hamilton is also the birthplace given for Thomas on the 1855 birth certificate of daughter Agnes Wotherspoon Wilson.I think this is likely to be the town of Hamilton rather than a farm of that name. His age in 1855 is given as 41 which is a bit at variance to both the 1851 (age 44) and 1861 census (50). Helen is also supposedly 41 and born in Shettleston. Agnes is listed as the 11th child but they also state that in addition to the new arrival they had 3 boys and 2 girls living and 3 boys and 1 girl deceased which would make her only the 10th child.
Tollcross is quite close to Shettleston.
Regards,
Isobel
isobelc

Postby janetw » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:41 pm

Thankyou Isobel. A lot to think about here. In fact I've now found the OPR baptisms at Crosshill for Helen 1853-1889 and Mary 1852-1867. My copy of the family Bible lists Agnes Wotherspoon Wilson as being born on 16th. February 1854. I have to wonder whether there were two children given the name of Agnes Wotherspoon. There must have been/may have been. This takes the number of children that I know of if this is the case to ten, and the parents are here saying that there were eleven. Thomas and Helen are both giving their ages as being 41, that is something to consider too. Thankyou so much for your information, it has sent me off on a chase, which will keep me going to a while.
Thankyou again,
Janet Wilson.
janetw

Postby isobelc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:33 am

This Agnes Wotherspoon Wilson was born 24th February 1855 at Baillieston.
Do you have the names and order of birth of the children as that might give you a clue to christian name of Thomas's mother. There was a naming pattern that was quite common in Scotland where the eldest daughter was named for the maternal grandmother and the second eldest for the paternal grandmother.
Isobel
isobelc

Postby janetw » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:15 pm

The eldest of the family was James (1837-1861), and James was given as the name of Thomas' father, at the time that Thomas died. James was also the name of Helen (nee Crichton)'s father.

John was the next born of the family (1838-1839), and another son was born in 1840 and was given the name of John. This John became my great-great-grandfather. Obviously John was an important name in the family - the names from the next generation (of Crichtons) were George and Robert, George Crichton and Robert Wotherspoon, parents of James Crichton and Helen Wotherspoon, the Wilson names were not known, other than that name of James given as the father of Thomas.

The next born child was Helen (1843-1848).
Thomas (1845-1846).
William (1849-1859).
Mary (1852-1867).
Helen (1853-1889).
Then comes Agnes Wotherspoon, possibly two given this name.

Interesting to see that Mary was the next female name used. I could do well to think on whether Mary was the name of Thomas' mother. Quite possibly I should consider the possibility that Thomas father was John!

I rather suspect that I have already been along this track, but I need to go there again. What was it someone said about known unknowns and unknown unknowns?

Thankyou Isobel, I will continue on.

Regards,
Janet.
janetw

Postby isobelc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:33 pm

If the naming pattern was followed the first male child was named after paternal grandfather and second after maternal grandfather - both the same in this case. My guess would be that the information on the death cert. is correct and that Thomas's father was called James.
Good hunting,
Isobel
isobelc

Postby janetw » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:36 am

I suspect you are right Isobel, but I am troubled by the need of the couple to have a son named John, also by the fact that quite possibly there is a child missing from my list. I wonder whether the first birth is the missing one as the couple married in December 1835, and James was born in April of 1837. I have resorted to asking a researcher to have a look at records at the Tollcross Church, and the latest thing is that he is going to look at Sasine records held by G&WSFHS as Thomas was a portioner, and just possibly there is something in there that might provide a clue which might bring a solution. Thanks again.
Regards,
Janet.
janetw

Postby marsha-mlwf » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:56 pm

see next message--this one was sent in error
Last edited by marsha-mlwf on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
marsha-mlwf

Postby marsha-mlwf » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:19 pm

Dear Janet,

Although I'm two years late, I am quite interested in your Thomas because it is quite likely that he is one of the sons of my ancestor, James WILSON II and his wife Mary McCALL. Their son George christened in Barony, Glasgow on 19 March 1805 was my ancestor. Your Thomas WILSON is linked to James' family on familysearch:

Thomas Wilson (KCBN-NRN)
1810–1865
• married to
Helen Crichton (L7GD-2LM)
1811–1887

There have been a number of children linked to James and Mary WILSON family by familysearch:

John Wilson-1792–1876 (moved to USA and buried in Virginia)
Marion Wilson-1795–?
Mary Wilson - 1799–?
George Wilson- 1805–1880 (moved to USA and buried in Utah)
Aubery Sue Wilson -1807–?
Thomas Wilson- 1810–1865

According to my own family records, the names are a bit different:
James Wilson
George Wilson
Jean Wilson
Marion Wilson
Thomas Wilson

Obviously there is a lot that needs to substantiated so anything you can add as evidence would be very useful. The research you have done on Thomas sounds interesting. Some of the brothers went to America and Thomas apparently stayed behind. I hope you will get in touch so we can perhaps join forces. We have been able to trace the WILSON lineage back to the 1650s.
Hope to hear from you.
Best wishes,
Marsha Wilson Fu
marsha-mlwf

Postby janetw » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:45 am

Hello Marsha,
I've obviously not been watching developments on the Thomas Wilson case. I thought that a reply to let you know that I have seen your message of twelve months ago would be a start. I've got a file somewhere of possible families for Thomas and I think one of them was that of James Wilson and Mary McCall. I'll look it out, and hope that in the mean time you will see this message and that we can take up the conversation. I'm not at all confident about finding anything with a connection to siblings in the U.S., but it all sounds pretty exciting.
I hope to talk with you soon,
Janet.
janetw

Return to General research queries