Moderator Control Panel ]

Subscription Websites

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Subscription Websites

Postby Bath Bun » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Hello all

I have been given some money for Christmas for subscription to one of the online websites but am torn as to which one to choose. I had though Ancestry but reading their terms & conditions they seem to have some sort of get out clause should any email, document etc that they send you or you download having a virus, etc. This worries me a little, I also have concerns over the automatic renewal. I am now veering towards FMP. My research, at the moment, is Somerset based with some in Yorkshire.

Has anyone any views on either company with regard to their customer service on encountering any problems, etc or views on which is better quality wise etc. I had though I'd made up my mind but the long terms & conditions document on Ancestry at best is complicated at worst seems to opt them out of any responsibilities.

Many thanks
Bath Bun

Re: Subscription Websites

Postby JaneyH » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:30 pm

I have a subscription to Ancestry and find it very straight-forward to use, in part - I guess - because I also have Family Tree Maker software which connects with Ancestry. I don't know which part of Yorkshire your ancestors come from but if it's West Yorkshire then Ancestry has a very comprehensive set of parish records for that county. These have been of enormous benefit in researching my Dad's side of the family who all came from the Huddersfield area. I suggest you check out which of the main subscription services have parish records for which counties, as they do vary. This may help you to choose which site to go for. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby ksouthall » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:32 am

I also find Ancestry really useful as I can sync my Ancestry Family Tree Maker tree. They are also giving an extra 3 months free if you take out an annual subscription before January 7th.
ksouthall

Postby ColinB » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:09 am

I don't think any site would accept responsibility for your picking up a virus when using it. That's just the risk we all run when using the internet . I don't think ancestry's customer service is brilliant , but neither is findmypast's. I think it's better to base your decision on the actual range of records offered and whatever level of subscription you can afford.Findmypast also offers automatic renewal which can be turned off but you may then lose out on the discount they offer on renewal.If you don't want automatic renewal on ancestry you just need to remember to cancel before the renewal is due. I've been with ancestry a long time and have chopped and changed my membership over the years and I've never had a problem with them taking a payment when they shouldn't.

Colin
ColinB

Postby vnolan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:38 pm

Like Colin I have been using ancestry since 2008 and have never encountered any problems with their automatic renewal system. I like the fact that I can have my family tree in their cloud and can access it anywhere / anytime I want. If you are concerned about privacy you have the choice as to whether your tree is made public or not.

If you have the money I would subscribe to several sites as you will find that as you progress in your research you will find that you cannot rely on just one site. I have subscriptions to ancestry, FMP and have just added the Genealogist. If I can't find what I am looking for on one site I will try the other ones.

WDYTYA magazine in a previous issue (just can't recall which one) did a good article on comparing all the subscription sites. If you are unsure of which one to use why not try before you buy? They all have free periods or you can buy credits. In the end it's up to you as to which one you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
vnolan

Postby Bath Bun » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks for all your advice. I suppose one of the main differences between Ancestry and FMP is the availability of contact, with FMP only being available during the week. As I work I would find it almost impossible to make contact with them within those hours. I will hunt down that article referred to as it sounds like just what I am looking for to compare records.
Bath Bun

Return to Genealogy chat