Moderator Control Panel ]

Military Uniform Help

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Military Uniform Help

Postby Luke » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:16 pm

Good Afternoon

I have recently found this photograph of my Great-Great-Great Grandfather, James Bell. He was born in 1828 and died in 1902.

The photo was posted on someone else's family tree on Ancestry. The description says it's the Royal Army Medical Corps. The cross badge on the sleeve probably means it it, but I wanted to ensure that this is correct. Can anyone confirm that this is the uniform of the RAMC, or if it a different regiment? And more importantly, can anyone roughly date the photograph?

Unfortunately I haven't got a bigger version, so I can't zoom in on the collar badges.

I have messaged the original owner, but I haven't had a reply yet.

Thank you for any help!

Luke
Attachments
James Bell.jpg
James Bell.jpg (29.75 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
Luke

Re: Military Uniform Help

Postby scaevola » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:13 pm

The RAMC have a Museum at Mytchett,Surrey. They may be able to help.
Scaevola
scaevola

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:15 am

The RAMC was only formed in 1898. I suspect that a cross could indicate medical staff in any regiment.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby g w aldous » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:45 am

the badge on his sleeve only says he is a stretcher bearer, the capbadge looks like the royal cypher VR reversed and interlaced which would put him in the Grenadier Guards , the single chevron on the right sleeve I think is a long service stripe for 3 years or it could be a wound stripe not sure but WW1 wound stripes were a single slash & long service was a chevron.
g w aldous

Postby Luke » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:29 am

Thank you ever so much for your help and advice!
Luke

Postby brunes08 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:10 pm

When I was trying to find the regiment of a highlander in kilt from very old black and white family photos, I came across a book on Queen Victoria's Highlanders which helped me to tell the different regiments apart. There is a very useful series in these books on many regiments. The publishers are Osprey and a list of their books in the series can be found on www.ospreypublishing.com. I think the sub-section is Men-at-Arms. A small comment on the back of my copy states: The uniforms, equipment, history and organization of the world's military forces, past and present.
Hope that may help.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby Candychris » Fri May 29, 2015 3:45 pm

AAAA.jpg
AAAA.jpg (12 KiB) Viewed 2957 times

This is my Ancestor and looks like he is in the same Uniform. He joined the Horse Artillery about1888 .He did his basic training at Woolich Arsenal and then was posted to India where at some point he rose to the rank of Seargent Major but was demoted Color Seargent. Hope this helps.
Candychris

Postby Jethro Tull » Sat May 30, 2015 8:59 am

Check out this link, there is a reference to the Army Hospital Corps as well as some useful pointers for Victorian era uniforms.

http://www.victorianwars.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7090

Hope it helps.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Return to Photo identification