Moderator Control Panel ]

Benjamin Barker WW1 Service Record

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Benjamin Barker WW1 Service Record

Postby kimberrywickham » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:51 pm

Hello and a Merry Christmas to all

I have been trying to find my Great granddads World War 1 service record, I believe I found it about five years ago when I first started tracing my family tree and for various reason one being inexperienced disregarded it. :roll: The record I found had the next of kin as Eliza Barker and the soldier had been wounded in the foot which fits with what my nan said about her dads wounds.

Benjamin Barker was born 17 Apr 1884 Kingswinford Staffs and died 17 Jan 1944, he marriage Eliza Louise Willetts on 13 Sep 1909 in Dudley the marriage cert state his profession as puddle. I have recently been told that when he marriage Eliza he was ex military.

On his second marriage cert in 1921 he has his profession as No 83 Sergeant 3rd Company Royal Engineers and resident at Brocton Camp.

My nan said her father was injured early in the war, which would fit with him being ex military so sometime between 1902 when he would have been 18 and 1911 he served in the army. In 1901 census he is living Kingswinford Staffs and the 1911 census he was living at Harts Hill, Dudley, Worcestershire

I have searched ancestry and look through hundreds of records for Benjamin Barker but have been unable to locate the record I saw.

Any help with locating his service record would be really great

Kind Regards Kim
kimberrywickham

Re: Benjamin Barker WW1 Service Record

Postby Sylcec » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:18 am

Kim
Despite providing so many helpful details, you seem a little confused about WWI and army service dates.

Ancestry has a Medal Index Card which I think may related to your Benjamin Barker. It provides the following details:
Benjamin Barker, Sapper, Royal Engineers, Regtl No.: 386726 and later: WR/126539
Medals Received:
1914/15 Star, for which he qualified by entering France on 13 Dec 1914 Roll: RE15A, page 114
British War and Victory Medals: Roll: RE102B2 page 287.

There is no service or pension record available on Ancestry, and indeed if he continued to serve beyond 1921 as seems likely, then his service record will still be with the Ministry of Defence, available on application by the next of kin and payment of 30pounds. Instructions here: http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html .

Any service prior to the onset of WWI may have been in the territorials, or if in the regular army may have included Boer War (though he seems a bit young for that). FindMyPast has a collection of British Army Service Records, so you could try searching there, for an earlier separate record from the later one.
Hope this is some help .
Sylcec

Postby kimberrywickham » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Hello Sylces

Just a quick thank you will have a look at that record tomorrow still got family here for the Xmas festivities. Will reply again tomorrow when all's quite on the home front.

Many thanks

Kim

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
kimberrywickham

Postby kimberrywickham » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:05 pm

Hello Sylces

Thank you so much for taking the time to search for Benjamin. Sorry for the late reply I have been reading about the Royal Engineers on the Long Long Trail web site very interesting.

Not much information to go on and the only information I have came word of mouth from my nan, that her father was wounded early in the war and from a relative of his first wife who describe Benjamin as ex military at the time of his marriage. This led me to think that he was in a reserve force or the TA as you say.

The other information I have is from his second marriage cert which did not make much sense, No 83 Sergeant does not appear to be a army number and I can find nothing relating to 3rd Company Royal Engineers. Brocton Camp was a transit camp early in the war and later a POW camp.

I shall follow up on that medal card to see if I can find out more information before I send for the record, £30.00 is quite a lot if it's not the right man.

Again Many Thanks
Kim
kimberrywickham

Return to Military help