Moderator Control Panel ]

Fathers unit Ronald B Roberts

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Fathers unit Ronald B Roberts

Postby GRoberts1949 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:33 pm

Hiya, I am trying to identify my Fathers unit from a picture I have - he lied about his age to join up, he was actually 16 when he joined, what I can't understand is why as he joined in 1928, I could see why some men lied about their ages during WW1 but why after? his attestation papers (in Colston Street, Bristol) said he was to join the Infantry of the line - I suppose as per the bandollier he has over his shoulder.
Can anyone assist me please, I may be able to contact his unit once I identified who he joined.
Thanks in anticipation.
Geoff Roberts
Attachments
A young Dad no glass - Copy.jpg
A young Dad no glass - Copy.jpg (139.55 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
GRoberts1949

Re: Fathers unit Ronald B Roberts

Postby jeffward » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:52 pm

It is unusual for the infantry to wear bandoliers more likely to be cavalry or artillery. However he is clearly not wearing an artillery cap badge.Its not clear from the photo but it does look a bit like the badge of The Life Guards There are several web sites the show all the various regimental cap badges at different periods in time.They should clarify the situation Regards Jeff Ward
jeffward

Re: Fathers unit Ronald B Roberts

Postby GRoberts1949 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:00 pm

you spotted my mistake - it was supposed to say joined cavalry of the line not infantry, not thinking on my "feet" was I ? sorry bad pun .. thanks for the info will have a search around some sites ...

Geoff
GRoberts1949

Return to Military help