Moderator Control Panel ]

Missing RN Sailors in 1807-9.

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Missing RN Sailors in 1807-9.

Postby Jacqueline Cox » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:29 pm

My Bethnal Green, East London, ancestor Abraham Orange born 1770 disappeared roughly at the same time as his brother Thomas Abraham Orange born 1767. Their widows remarried in different London parishes within about 2 weeks of each other in 1809. which suggests that they both knew, possibly at about the same time, that they were free to remarry. Thomas Abraham was entered on the muster roll of HMS Beliqueux on July 12 1805 and died on board from a fever on Sept 18 1807 in the Bay of Bengal. Desk staff at TNA found that his death was recorded in the Royal Naval Hospital records and I then found the ship's log book recording the circumstances of his death, but I can find no reference of any kind to Abraham after the baptism of his last child, Charles, in Oct 1807. Abraham was probably not at the baptism as it was not in the church where his other children were baptised but at the church of the parish of his wife Mary's family, but Charles could not have been conceived after Jan 1807.
Can anyone suggest further lines of research into Abraham? I realise he may not have joined the RN, but his widow Mary knew he was dead so she must have been notified or otherwise informed. I can't find websites about Nelson's navy, particularly after Nelson's death. For example, I'd like to find ships which just disappeared, ?perhaps in a storm? from mid 1807 to early 1809 or a record of the return of sailors' effects and back pay to their families.
Jacqueline Cox

Re: Missing RN Sailors in 1807-9.

Postby Editor » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi Jacqueline, our December issue ran an article on useful websites for researching Nelson's Navy. As you have already been to TNA, I suspect this won't help you, but here is their advice: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/reco ... re1853.htm

Also, in the feature our expert recommends the Nelson's Navy forum: nelsonandhisworld.co.uk/forum

Good luck!

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Re: Missing RN Sailors in 1807-9.

Postby Jacqueline Cox » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Thank you so much, Sarah. In the run up to Christmas, I must have missed that link in the article, though in fact, on a second perusal, I still can't see it!
Jacqueline Cox

Return to Military help