Moderator Control Panel ]

What is the emblem on the watch chain?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

What is the emblem on the watch chain?

Postby terina » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:13 pm

The attached photo was found in my aunt's house, behind a cabinet that had not been moved for years. My cousin and are are not sure whether it is our grandfather or great grandfather. Both were called Louis (or Lewis) Hurley.

Louis Charles was born 18 Feb 1861 in Cardiff and died in the Universal pit disaster of 1901 (24 May). Last year by chance I found out that he was a member of the local lodge of buffalo's (RAOB) when I offered to donate towards a tile on the new memorial to the mines who lost their lives at that pit and others. The local lodge had donated the money, however I have not been able to find out any information on him through the RAOB.

Lewis John was born 21 Sept 1884 at Blackwood and died 11 Jul 1927 at Senghenydd from an injury he sustained whilst he was working in the Universal pit. This is more likely to be the person in the photo but we have been unable to identify the emblem, it may be a miner's badge or it could be a RAOB logde badge, we don't know he was a lodge member.

The photo was taken at Metroploe Studios either in Cardiff or Penarth, but we don't know when.

Any help would be great so we can see further back into the family.

Thanks
Attachments
L_Hurley_vsmall.jpg
full picture
L_Hurley_vsmall.jpg (190.89 KiB) Viewed 806 times
L_Hurley_watchchain.jpg
badge
L_Hurley_watchchain.jpg (25.38 KiB) Viewed 806 times
terina

Return to Photo identification