Moderator Control Panel ]

New PC to get that will support geneology software?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

New PC to get that will support geneology software?

Postby klaw1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:28 am

Not sure if this is the right part of the board to post this, so apologies in advance if it is not, but I am new to the forum and still figuring it out. :oops:

My question for all you technical people out there - I am going to buy my own computer - tired of trying to share / sneak on the husbands and daughter's when they are not in use ( us mums always put our selfs last !!) Any way, due to limited expense, I am looking at Netbooks to allow me to do all my internet brousing, store my data, scan photos, however would a netbook support the variety of software out there and or the free CD's that you get regularly with the magazine? Your thoughts would be appreciated :)
klaw1

Re: New PC to get that will support geneology software?

Postby paulberyl » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:39 pm

I have no direct experience of netbooks myself although both my son and grandson use netbooks. From their experience they can do anything on their netbook that I can do on my laptop other than neither netbook had a CD/DVD drive and therefore they cannot directly load software from a CD. However it is possible to purchase an external CD/DVD drive to connect to netbooks. (In my son's case (he is an IT Consultant) he has his netbook on my home network and he can connect to my laptop's DVD drive and load software by connecting to my DVD drive (do not ask me how he does this as I have no idea))

The only limitation I can see with a netbook is the size of the screen.

Paul
paulberyl

Return to Genealogy chat