Moderator Control Panel ]

Ghost of Kennington Oxfordshire

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

Ghost of Kennington Oxfordshire

Postby Will Mundy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:25 pm

Hello,
According to local legend a ghost of a highway man is said to roam the road from Bagley Woods to Kennington. I looked in old newspaper articles and found there was an instance of a highway man robbing somebody passing by. Although now in Oxfordshire Kennington used to be in Berkshire, so the information is in Berkshire newspapers. There are several random headstones in the woods.

I was wondering if anybody has heard this from the area or if anybody else has heard similar stories?

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Will Mundy

Re: Ghost of Kennington Oxfordshire

Postby meekhcs » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:27 am

Well you live and learn. I never knew the Berkshire border came that close to the city of Oxford !!

meekhcs

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:14 am

Sally,
Oxford, is on the Thames, which forms part of the border between the two counties. Obvious when you think about it (I didn’t realise either :D )
Mick Loney

Postby Will Mundy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:27 am

Pre 1974 the Oxfordshire Berkshire border ran very close to the Abingdon Road which takes you directly into Oxford. In fact pre 1889 Abingdon Road itself was in Berkshire and St. Aldates was in Oxfordshire. It was the 1974 boundary change that was the really big one. Every time on ancestry I type in one of my ancestors it still comes up with the old county for places like Abingdon or Didcot

Will Mundy

Postby meekhcs » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:24 am

Not my home county, but I lived just outside of Oxford for 18years! In mitigation it was North not South!!

meekhcs

Return to Local history