Moderator Control Panel ]

French/German census returns

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

French/German census returns

Postby sharpractice » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:40 pm

Good evening,
I would appreciate any help in guidance to accessing both French and German census returns. I am assuming of course that they had similar population censuses to those in the UK.
My interest arises because I have an ancestor who, although comming from a "working class" family and community, married in Berlin (before it became Germany) in 1850 to a German woman and then they went on to have several children, some born in Berlin and others in Paris. I have found details of their baptisms but there is little else included on these perfunctory records other the names and the mother's maiden name. The ancestor in question is known to have died in Paris in 1885. I suspect that access to any census returns between 1850 and his death will explain why he was in Europe over this period and what his employment was.
Thank you
Frank Sharp
sharpractice

Re: French/German census returns

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:20 pm

FamilySearch article on French censuses....

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/France_Census

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:23 pm

And the equivalent article for Deutschland (yes, I was just wondering if predictive text would recognize the name!)

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Germany_Census

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby sharpractice » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:11 pm

Thank you Adrian for this advice.
It looks like I will be out of luck expecting something similar as that found in England, Wales, Scotland and NI. However the Familysearch website may be worth a visit so I will look there and see what can be found.
Many thanks
Frank
sharpractice

Postby Lancer_MiG » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:40 am

The links to the articles don't work for me, do they behave like that because I'm in Russia (I'm from Edinburgh, but I'm working there) or because there's an issue with them?
Lancer_MiG

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:26 am

The links just worked fine for me. I strongly suspect that the Russian authorities may have stopped access to the FamilySearch sites, given that they are an arm of the Mormon Church.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Genealogy chat