Moderator Control Panel ]

Hebrew names on a synagogue marriage record

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Hebrew names on a synagogue marriage record

Postby l.fransham » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:29 pm

I recently found my 3x great grandparents synagogue marriage record online at the Great Synagogue, Duke Street in the City of London.

Lazarus Jacobs (Eliezer Lezer) son of Moses (Moshe) married Celia Levy (Simcha) daughter of (Ab[v]erlok [?] Folte [?] HaLevi) on 12th August 1846.

The transcription for Celia's fathers name must have been unclear - has anyone got any suggestions? I know that HaLevi means Levy but I don't know what to make of his first name. On the actual marriage certificate Celia's father is named Pincas Levy. It says that they were married by the Rabbi at Lazarus's house nearby. If I was to try and research my Jewish ancestors before they came to the UK would I use their Hebrew names? Both fathers are described as furriers by trade.

From the 1871 census I have found out that Lazarus came from 'Rica, Russia' presumably Riga, Latvia and that Celia came from 'Grostric, Germany' which I cannot find anywhere resembling that on any map of Germany - any suggestions? I think that I have found an arrival record of Pincas Levy in London on 1st Sep 1845 from Hamburg.

Any suggestions on Hebrew names, synagogue records or tracing Jewish ancestors would be gratefully received.
l.fransham

Re: Hebrew names on a synagogue marriage record

Postby callbrian » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:59 pm

Hi
check out this months magazine. There is an article about tracing your Jewish ancestors. You can also check out the WDYTYA? Magazine website there are links to various sites regarding tracing your Jewish ancestors.
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby junkers » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:38 pm

I think you need to ignore current country borders as they were what were the countries at that time, so Riga would have been part of the Russian Empire and Germany refers also to the German Empire which might include Poland or other countries. Grostric might be Rostock. Have you looked at maps of Europe for the period as that may be a better idea than a modern one.
junkers

Postby l.fransham » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:51 pm

Hi Brian,
Thanks for your reply. It was this month's issue that got me looking at my Jewish ancestors again and prompted this find - thank you!
Linda
l.fransham

Postby l.fransham » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:04 pm

junkers wrote:I think you need to ignore current country borders as they were what were the countries at that time, so Riga would have been part of the Russian Empire and Germany refers also to the German Empire which might include Poland or other countries. Grostric might be Rostock. Have you looked at maps of Europe for the period as that may be a better idea than a modern one.

Hi,
Thanks for your suggestions. I will see if I can find a map Eastern Europe c1840 and widen my search. Do you think I should be looking at Poland and places in Prussia? Would that have been classed as Germany at that time? Do you think that Riga is likely for the transcription 'Rica'? I presume that the census takers often found it difficult to record foreign birth places perhaps they had never heard to them or it was hard to decipher from foreign accents.
Thanks for your help, Linda
l.fransham

Postby Alisonabel » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:42 pm

Hi, I’ve just recently received documents on my family tree and it looks like we’re relatives. Celia and Lazarus are my 4th great grandparents. It would be great if we could chat and I can share everything that I have. If you know further, my family come down the William Thomas Brown route (their grand child). Who then fathered Albert Brown (my great grandfather) and finally my Nan (Mary Brown).
Alisonabel

Return to General research queries