Moderator Control Panel ]

Fold 3

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Fold 3

Postby janlawson » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:08 pm

Is Fold 3 military site worth the money for British WWI and WWII records?
janlawson

Re: Fold 3

Postby avaline » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:03 pm

In my opinion, no. The bulk of Fold3 records are US ones.

UK WW2 service records are still with the MoD, so there will be very little if anything on Fold3.
UK WW1 records are already on Ancestry/FmP, with the exception of the pension cards, which are the only 'exclusive' UK WW1 records on Fold3.

Personally I feel I already pay enough to Ancestry for what is a pretty shoddy site that's desperately in need of upgrading. To tuck the pension cards on Fold3 and expect UK customers to shell out yet more money for one small record-set is just greed.
avaline

Postby junkers » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:05 pm

I agree that there is of little benefit to subscribing to Fold 3 yet another money-grabbing website. The Ministry of Defence they are going to release some of the Second World War records soon, but I will wait until I see it!.
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:01 pm

Some of the Fold3 stuff is also available as a free download from the TNA Discovery site. It's online as what they term Digital Microfilm so you get the whole piece - you need to know the reference in the first place, but you can get that, or an equivalent from Ancestry.

The WW1 pension records, as said above, are one of the few UK things up on Fold3 that are nowhere else. I got mine when they had a free weekend. However, they were virtually a complete disappointment. I never knew that Granddad had a pension - short term - but there were absolutely no other details. I think that this may have been a foible of the NW pension area because I found one guy who moved from the NW to the Midlands so had 2 records. The NW one was blank apart from name etc, the Midlands one had details of the reason etc.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby janlawson » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:12 pm

Thank you so much for saving my money. I will not bother.
janlawson

Return to Military help