Moderator Control Panel ]

January 2010 issue

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

January 2010 issue

Postby junkers » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:39 pm

On the "50 websites to watch in 2020" I still have doubts over whether Find My Past will get the 1921 Census (England and Wales, Channel Islands and Isle of Man) ready on 1 January 2022, given that The National Archives gave them the contract nine months after the stated date start, no explanation has been given by TNA for the delay in awarding the contract. Also as we know from previous episodes (the 1901 Census release in 2002) the online capacity needs to be robust.

It is good to see all of the other projects going on (only just about 18 months until the Scottish Census is released!), transcription is of course key to researchers finding information and not just copying what is written on the page, e.g. Barrackshire which is of course Berwickshire as transcribed at TNA.
junkers

Re: January 2010 issue

Postby Rosemary Collins » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:15 am

I was a bit confused by your post title at first, but I guess you mean our latest issue (January 2020)! We will certainly keep a close eye on the Findmypast census release to see if it's ready in time. I hope you enjoy the issue!
Rosemary Collins
Staff Writer
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Postby Guy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:44 am

Rosemary Collins wrote:I was a bit confused by your post title at first, but I guess you mean our latest issue (January 2020)! We will certainly keep a close eye on the Findmypast census release to see if it's ready in time. I hope you enjoy the issue!

From the FindMyPast website,
https://tinyurl.com/sl7ednc
they seem confident they will the release the 1921 census on 1st January 2022.

I would suggest that it will be online on that date and the site will be robust enough to meet the demands for access (if not I would claim the census would be online late in the month to confuse others and ensure my personal access on the 1st).

I would also suggest readers take a look at the Frequently asked questions particularly "What information does it contain?"

Cheers
Guy

PS I would also read FAO "Will the 1921 Census effectively belong to the service provider?" as it seems to imply the census has already been scanned.
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby junkers » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:17 pm

Rosemary Collins wrote:I was a bit confused by your post title at first, but I guess you mean our latest issue (January 2020)! We will certainly keep a close eye on the Findmypast census release to see if it's ready in time. I hope you enjoy the issue!

Rosemary,

Sorry, I did mean 2020.
junkers

Postby junkers » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:19 pm

Guy wrote:

From the FindMyPast website,
https://tinyurl.com/sl7ednc
they seem confident they will the release the 1921 census on 1st January 2022.

I would suggest that it will be online on that date and the site will be robust enough to meet the demands for access (if not I would claim the census would be online late in the month to confuse others and ensure my personal access on the 1st).

I would also suggest readers take a look at the Frequently asked questions particularly "What information does it contain?"

Cheers
Guy

PS I would also read FAO "Will the 1921 Census effectively belong to the service provider?" as it seems to imply the census has already been scanned.

Guy,
They may have scanned the documents but the transcription is the issue.
junkers

Postby Guy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:10 pm

junkers wrote:
Guy,
They may have scanned the documents but the transcription is the issue.

As someone who digitises documents etc. for a living I can assure you scanning and indexing is just as time consuming if not more time consuming than transcribing.
FMP have just over two years to complete the task and should do it with ease.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Return to Magazine chat