Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 Book

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WW1 Book

Postby ColinW » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:26 pm

Having found out that my great great grandad was a soldier that survived in WW1, I would like to read a book about any British soldier on the front line during the war.

Can anyone recommend one?

Thank you.
ColinW

Re: WW1 Book

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:20 am

There's a lot of books written by or about various soldiers. Yes, which is why you're asking for recommendations in a huge field, of course. I'm not actually well up in biographies but can I recommend 2 things.

Firstly the Long Long Trail website on
https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/ - this gives a huge amount of background about how soldiers' lives and how to research them.

Secondly, if I had to recommend one book about British soldiers in WW1, it would be "Tommy" by Richard Holmes. I'm sure that you can find it on Amazon.

Two to get you started...

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby MaureenE » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:46 am

There are many books of personal accounts available online, mainly from free websites. Assuming you are interested in the Western Front, look at the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Western Front, section Historical books online, where there are many books linked.
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Western_Front

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby ColinW » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:11 pm

Thank you both for your help, I will take a look at the links and choose a book.
ColinW

Postby ChristineES » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:30 pm

Hi Colin,
You might be interested in the following book:

Ette, Karen. (2019) Don't be late in the morning.

'Written from original, unpublished letters and diaries, filling a void in British Great War fiction.
David Adcock grows up in the Leicestershire village of Syston. Popular and respected by his friends, they later become his pals on The Western Front where, as a ‘fighting Leicester Tiger’, he experiences one of the most catastrophic and overlooked battles of the First World War.'

Kind Regards,
Christine
ChristineES

Postby Norfolk Nan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:12 pm

All Quiet on the Western Front is a classic, written from a German perspective but still about the common man. Worth reading.
Norfolk Nan

Return to Military help