Moderator Control Panel ]

Alexander Hamilton, Perthshire

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Alexander Hamilton, Perthshire

Postby Rosemary Collins » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:04 pm

Hello WDYTYA? readers!

I was hoping the many knowledgeable people on this forum could help me with a family history query of my own - locating my 3x great grandfather, Alexander Hamilton.

In the 1861-1881 Scottish censuses, he is living in Forteviot, Perthshire, with his profession listed as gamekeeper. His wife Margaret and their ten children (all of whom I've found baptism records for) are consistent throughout that period.

In 1861 he gives his age as 34 and his birthplace as Glasgow; in 1871 he's 45 and born in Kinloch Rannoch, Perthshire; in 1881 he's 54 and born in Glasgow again.

The 1891 census has an Alexander Hamilton, age 63, born in Glasgow, in Lenzie Convalescent Home (in Glasgow). It also has Margaret and her youngest daughter Janet/Jessie living without Alexander in Forteviot.

My questions are these: Can I find Alexander's birth record, given the changes in his place of birth (Glasgow and Kinloch Rannoch are in very different parts of the country so it seems odd that he put them both as birthplaces)? Where is his and Margaret's marriage record, and his death record? Margaret's maiden name was Cameron according to her children's baptism records. Can I find him in the 1841 and 1851 censuses?

There's an entry in the 1851 Scottish census for Alexr Hamilton, age 30, gamekeeper, in Aberdalgie, Perthshire. He lives with wife Margaret (22) and daughter Catharine (7 months). Aberdalgie was where Alexander and Catherine's first three children were baptised - Catherine (b. 20 July 1851), Mary (b. 30 March 1852) and Alexander (b. 14 Feb 1852). I'm not sure if that's him since it would give his year of birth as c.1821 (whereas in the other censuses his birth would be 1826-1828) and my Alexander's daughter Catherine was born after the 1851 census date. One sad possibility is that he and Margaret had another daughter called Catherine who died, so they gave the name to their second child, but I can't find any matching baptism or death records for another Catherine.

I would appreciate any help you can give me untangling all this!
Rosemary Collins
Staff Writer
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Re: Alexander Hamilton, Perthshire

Postby Rosemary Collins » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:25 pm

UPDATE: I've now found what I'm pretty sure is Alexander's death certificate. Alexander Hamilton, d. 7 March 1891, Forteviot. Gamekeeper, married to Margaret Cameron. The wrinkle is that the death certificate gives his age as 73, which puts his date of birth even further back!
Rosemary Collins
Staff Writer

Rosemary Collins

Postby junkers » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:27 pm

The 1891 Census was taken 0n 7 April 1891 (I can't see it on the SP index for the Lenzie area, which I think is in Dunbartonshire), but if he is the one who died on 7th March 1891 then that must be another Alexander Hamilton. I tried looking for Alexander's parents but there are too many marriages to check, but it is odd for his father (Alexander Hamilton) being married to a Cameron, just as Alexander (junior) was. I agree that Glasgow and Kinloch are odd given the distance between them. Have you looked to see if there are any gamekeepers records for the area which might give a place of birth.
junkers

Postby ciderdrinker » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:36 pm

Hello
Given the wedding usually takes place in the bride's parish ,lets look for Margaret.
Margaret was born c 1830 at Aharacle Argyllshire
There are two possibles
Margaret 8 /5/1830 d of Duncan and Eiric and
Margaret 17/5/1830 d of John and Catherine McIntyre

Trouble is I can't then see them on the census of a marriage for her.
If we go by the Scottish naming system for her children after parents then hers should be John and Catherine.But there is no marriage for them either or more children.
Alexander's in theory should be Peter and Mary.
Given he is now so much older than Margaret if they were in England I'd be thinking first marriage and wife still alive.
And I did wonder about Alexander Hamilton at Culvulin Fortingall age 21 lab.Born Scotland ,not in county on the 1841.
Doesn't his death cert give any parents?

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby Rosemary Collins » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:10 pm

Hi guys,

Thank you for your replies! I should have said - his death certificate gives his parents as Alexander Hamilton, farmer, deceased and Catherine Hamilton, maiden name Cameron, deceased. Margaret Cameron, also mentioned on the birth certificate, was his wife. I don't know if his father being a farmer points to him being born in a rural area?
Rosemary Collins
Staff Writer

Rosemary Collins

Return to General research queries