Moderator Control Panel ]

£1.50 Wills

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: £1.50 Wills

Postby Robbie J N » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:54 pm

It doesn't matter if they had a Will or died intestate, as sometimes it's just the names of the next of kin that I want to know, or even witnesses or things like that. Not everything is listed in the short description in the search pages. Plus seeing the signature of an ancestor, whether they be the deceased or one of the next of kin, is useful for matching up with other documents. Although, these are often absent for those that died intestate. (Sometimes not though.)
This was part of my first set of Wills that I ordered so I'm not that good with all the lingo about people dying intestate, and therefore administration not really giving much information about what relatives got what, etc.

A lot of Wills are, according to my father, not technically valid because people who witnessed them have not given their full names, which is supposed to be a legal requirement. By that, I mean just their first initial or both initials followed by their surname, as you are supposed to state your name in full. He has had to deal with the wills of several of his aunts and uncles, and seeing some of them in writing shows they were somewhat 'iffy' to say the least.
The witnesses to his grandfather's will, from 1967, were a cousin-in-law and cousin's son, but only their initials and surname were given, so apparently was not 'technically' valid. No doubt someone on here will tell me I'm wrong about that, or hopefully, confirm what I've said is accurate. Please confirm one way or another! (I suppose things may have changed over the decades so that now it is a requirement, but back then in the 1950s, when the will was first drafted, it wasn't.)

Going back to the wrong will being sent to me, the e-mail they sent informing me that it was available, had the correct death date on it, proving that I gave the correct info in the first place and they mucked it up!
At least the others they notified me about were the correct ones, if not much info was provided in the end.
Robbie J N

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:05 pm

... administration not really giving much information about what relatives got what, etc. ...

An Administration (aka Admon) is only issued when there is no will. So, if you send for an Admon from the Probate Service, the rule of thumb is that it tells you nothing more than what's in the Probate Calendar - no lists of relatives, signatures, etc.

Note that this does not apply to "Administration with Will Attached". This is used when there is a will (which is attached, as it says) but the appointed executors have either declined to serve or died.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Robbie J N » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:43 pm

The specific case of John Nunn is quite unusual, as I was hoping (and still hope, should it ever become available) that there might be an explanation as to why it took nearly 23 YEARS for probate to be granted. Most take less than 1 year, so the time this particular probate took to be granted may be because of some reason I have yet to discover. I won’t know for sure until I see it for myself!
At the time I ordered it, 26th July, and the small fee of £1.50, it seemed a worthwhile inquiry to make.

Like I said before, my knowledge of wills is not too good, so I didn’t know what to expect until I received my initial order, which is still 8/12 to go. (The wrong one doesn’t count.)
Plus, there may always be the odd bit of info that might prove useful. You never know until you see them.

Sorry, if I have taken this thread slightly off topic. This is more to do with the content of the wills rather than the long waiting times people are experiencing.
Robbie J N

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:23 am

Actually, Robbie, your reasoning makes sense to me - £1.50 is worth a punt. The valuation of the estate might tell you something, or any references to relationships might. Maybe.

I would have a wider look to see if maybe JN - or rather, his estate - inherited something at that late date, though in that case that other will (if it was a will) couldn't have given an alternative recipient in the case of the death of JN. Interesting.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:51 am

AdrianB38 wrote:though in that case that other will (if it was a will) couldn't have given an alternative recipient in the case of the death of JN.

If you mean the wrong one that was sent, it wasn't a will either. If it was, we would have been able to see the copy will on FamilySearch. It wasn't there, which is why I went to the probate calendar (I wasn't trying to contradict Robbie, I had presumed it was a will)

And on that subject, LDS family history centres do provide access to the copies of wills proved at the PPR and in the districts, 1858-1925.
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:26 am

Actually, by the "other will" I meant some theoretical will, written by some unknown testator, that might have bequeathed (the by then deceased) JN something that then had to be passed on to his own kin, in a manner needing probate.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Robbie J N » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:49 am

That is an interesting idea. Is it possible to search probate lists using the next of kin or executors’ names rather than the deceased? Is there a search function that allows for that? That way I could see if a John Nunn was listed in someone else’s will.
Robbie J N

Postby ianbee » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:46 pm

On Findmypast, Probate Calendars Of England & Wales 1858-1959
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search- ... -1858-1959

"Additional keywords" allows you to search for text in the calendars. It works quite well, i.e. "John Peter Nunn" finds the 1872 entry.
But best used if you are subscriber to findmypast! And I think you have to be registered and logged in now just to see the results of searches.

The Death Duty Registers might be useful for administrations. I know there's a gap in the indexes to these registers for administrations between 1864 and 1881.
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:07 pm

But remember that probate calendars only mention executors, not beneficiaries or next of kin. Actually, that's not quite correct - married women may be described by their husband's name and other relationships may be mentioned I suppose, but it's because they are executors or the deceased that they are mentioned.

It could be a good idea to search by surname and place-name - if that's possible??? E.g. search for Nunn and Somerset??? You never know what might appear....

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ksouthall » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:05 pm

I logged into the Probate site today and all four wills were ready to be downloaded.

My grandparents wills were delivered on 7th October and my great-grandma's aunt and uncle's wills were delivered yesterday.

Nothing too surprising in my grandparents' will, but interesting to see my their signatures. I don't think I'd seen my grandma's signature before. Also interesting to see my dad and uncle's signatures on grandma's will.

The great-great-aunt and uncle's wills were interesting as they named my great-grandma and her two brothers as the beneficiaries, as I'd hoped. The executor was a more distant relative.
ksouthall

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries