Moderator Control Panel ]

Western Front Association WW1 pension records

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: Western Front Association WW1 pension records

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:33 am

Thanks Ian - "If you're not confused, you clearly don't know what's going on..."

Yes, a lot more Bruces - not mine but I didn't expect so. I have, however, found free images on Fold3, from Ancestry, of 2 members of the Ediss family - not relatives but connected via a very peculiar and possibly scandalous link to me. I looked for that name because (a) it's rare and (b) I knew one did have a pension from his Service Records. No time to look in detail yet...
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:57 pm

Phew... Done them.

Couple of interesting aspects - my Granddad Griffiths has a ledger (I think that's what it is) card - but, as with several of the others, there's really nothing there to say why...

On the good side, I have a James Taylor who I've never been too happy about - he was in the first book for the war dead of Crewe & Nantwich but then disappeared from later books as if the authors weren't too sure of his identity. However, his pension record (he died in 1915) gives the full name of his mother - add that to the full name of his father from Ancestry's UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929 and the situation becomes much clearer that he is my relative.

What I haven't been able to do is find anyone who I didn't know about before - there's nothing like enough data on the examples I've checked to see if these are mine.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:13 pm

Seems to have been updated! Apparently on 26/09/2019, though I've only just noticed.
Other Ranks Died, a million or so records

More info here
http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/ ... published/
ianbee

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat