Moderator Control Panel ]

Looking for adoption family history

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Looking for adoption family history

Postby SpiveyOhana » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:53 pm

Hi there I'm adopted and very happy with my family but after extensive talks with my parents I've realised we really don't no anything about where I came from so wanting to know abit about my birth family background all I have is the names of my birth parents and the hospital I was born at. Any suggestions on where I can look or how to get started please

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-A520F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
SpiveyOhana

Re: Looking for adoption family history

Postby Seth Burgess » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:57 am

Thanks for your post. An easy question immediately springs to mind: which country were you born in?

Seth Burgess
Production editor
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine
Seth Burgess

Postby phsvm » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:06 am

It's great to hear that you have had a happy life with your adoptive family and that they appear to be supporting you in your desire to know more about your birth parents.

Whilst I'm not suggesting this is wrong I would urge extreme caution before contacting any blood relatives that you find.

It sounds as if you have no knowledge as to why your birth family felt unable to care for you and took the decision to part with you. Maybe known one else in the family knew of their actions, maybe they have other children who have no idea of your existance.

If you do find your blood relatives think long and hard about how to approach them and be prepared for whatever response you get from them. I completely understand your desire to know more but look beyond the finding them and decide what you want from this.

Many reunions have very hppy endings but bear in mind that not all do.
phsvm

Postby SpiveyOhana » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:37 am

Thank you for the replies I was born in Birmingham uk and Thank you for the advice I will be treading very carefully.

SpiveyOhana

Postby brunes08 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:57 am

For more specific advice on how to proceed, you could contact the Adoption Service in your local city or county services. There is also useful advice on the Government website on www.gov.uk - indicate in their search box what you require. Hope that also helps you.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby jimbo50 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:27 pm

This is the info from Gov.uk

'You can access your birth records if you don’t have them because you were adopted.
You need to be 18 or over to do this.
Everyone adopted before 12 November 1975 will need to attend a counselling session with an approved adoption advisor first.'

I was glad to see the counselling session paragraph as I started to worry for you.
Many adopted children's birth families circumstances have changed, happily, since the adoption time.
A warning though, there are those who were not able to change, so a direct contact could be very distressing, or just a big mistake for other reasons.
jimbo50

Postby SpiveyOhana » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:25 pm

Thank you

SpiveyOhana

Postby MaureenE » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:31 am

If you were adopted through an adoption agency connected with a church or other charitable institution you should contact that agency as it should have further records.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Return to General research queries