Moderator Control Panel ]

Help Dating Picture and Man

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Help Dating Picture and Man

Postby Lusby84 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:45 am

Hello,
I am hoping someone can help me. This is my first time using a forum! So please be gentle!

This is a photo of an original (sorry not the best, but all I have). Original has since disappeared somewhere in the family.
I am hoping to try and date it and the man in the picture - based on his clothing and type of picture. Nothing is known about him, other than it is from my Grandmothers side of the family, possibly a grandparent?

I have more to follow at some point.

Thanks
Attachments
002.JPG
Paternal Grandmothers side
002.JPG (822.94 KiB) Viewed 423 times
Lusby84

Re: Help Dating Picture and Man

Postby sdup26 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:13 pm

It's very highly coloured, almost like a portrait. I'd guess at late 19th century - 1880's/90's, maybe for a special occasion. I'm curious about the blue objects on his left lapel; are they ribbons/badges? Are they the reason for the picture?
sdup26

Postby Lusby84 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:15 pm

Thanks for the reply, I thought the blue ‘thing’ looked like a flower! But your suggestion gives me more to think about and another angle to research.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Lusby84

Postby loiseau22 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:55 am

For some reason, the blue flower makes me think of the "bleuet" (cornflower) that is the French symbol of remembrance for fallen soldiers.
It is not much seen nowadays, even on 11 November, but I wonder if it would have been more prevalent around the time of World War I?
Is there a French connection in the family?
loiseau22

Return to Photo identification