Moderator Control Panel ]

Surety in Marriage Bonds and Allegations

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Surety in Marriage Bonds and Allegations

Postby Mass60 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:18 pm

I have a relative married in 1820. The marriage was in the local church but there is also a marriage Bond. This Marriage Bond and Allegation gives his name as Christopher Carr (farmer and bachelor) and Ann Bolam spinster , but then gives the surety also as a Christopher Carr, farmer.
It is the surety that I find puzzling because I assume the applicant for marriage Bond can not also act as surety for their own application ? If so then this must be another Christopher Carr.

I have no records of any other relative also called Christopher Carr so far, but it is a very interesting find if it is the case. It is not his father who was called George Carr, nor his brother or any other relatives I have so far encountered. Could it be a grandfather or is this unlikely ?
Mass60

Re: Surety in Marriage Bonds and Allegations

Postby Guy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:52 pm

Why not, the surety is an assurance that there is no legal impediment to the marriage and if the marriage takes place and a legal impediment is later shown to have existed then the person or people named will forfeit the sum mentioned.
In a number of cases only the groom actually exists
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:27 pm

Yes, don't think of the person standing surety as an independent, expert witness, but as the person who will get slapped with an almighty fine if there was an impediment in reality. Then, as Guy says, why not?

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Mass60 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:16 am

Thank you for your help and clarification !
I think I can now assume that they are the same. Very helpful indeed as always.
Mass60

Return to General research queries