Moderator Control Panel ]

Simpson Mystery

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Simpson Mystery

Postby Will Mundy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:48 pm

Good evening,

I’m trying to research my 6th great grandmother Amy Simpson. She married my 6th great grandfather Richard Johnson on the 26th Feb 1749/50 in Witney Oxfordshire. She had the following children:
Nathaniel 1750
Martha 1752
Mary 1755
Hannah 1756
Richard 1757
John 1759
Martha 1761
Amy 1764

Amy died in 1775 in Ducklington where she was having children, I can’t seem to find where she was from though, no sign of her near to Ducklington. Richard remarried a Anne Goode who was also a 6th great grandmother of mine, Richard married Anne in 1777 in Fringford. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about finding out when Amy came from?

Any help would be much appreciated

Will

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Will Mundy

Re: Simpson Mystery

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:37 am

Very quick comments - if you're looking for a baptism of Amy Simpson and can't find one, consider the possibility that when she married Richard Johnson, she was actually a young widow. So you'd need to search for wedding between a Mr Simpson and an Amy someone that was followed by the burial of a Mr Simpson.

The other point is that you need to understand the coverage of the records available for Oxfordshire. It's not an area that I'm at all familiar with so I have no feeling for the proportion of churches and chapels covered but you need to sit down with the list of parishes and chapels within those parishes, and check whether you have access to all their records. You might find the lists using GENUKI, the FamilySearch Wiki for Oxfordshire, etc. The record office may also have lists that reveal whether some parishes have been omitted from the online coverage, or maybe even haven't handed their registers over at all. The really tricky bit is when you find comments that say, "The rector of the parish kept imperfect records over the years" because then the possibility is that events just weren't recorded. But even there, sometimes if you look at the Bishops' Transcripts, you can find events that got into the BTs but not the PRs. BTs by the way can sometimes be found on the FamilySearch site in an unindexed form - just images. Go to the FamilySearch catalogue and search by the place name of the parish.

Following the above ideas, with any luck you might find other sources for the events that contain what you need.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:48 am

Incidentally, going back to the idea that Amy might have been a widow on her marriage to Richard, the numbers make it look possible. If we make a rough estimate that she was 40 when she had her last child, then she would be born about 1724, therefore about 26 when she married Richard, which makes it possible, distinctly possible perhaps, that she'd been married before.

This idea assumes that a mother has her last child at 40 (quite possibly too early) - she needs to have survived long enough after that last child to make it clear that the last child was the last one due to advancing age and not simply the last one due to her death from illness while still fertile.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ciderdrinker » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:32 am

Hello
I've looked at that marriage and it does give parishes for both of them
He is from Ducklington and she is from Preinns?
It's squashed into the margin and I've never heard of it.

In Witney are one couple of Simsons
Jonathon and his wives Ann and Phyllis
He and Ann have a son Thomas 12.9.1757 and Ann is buried 20.5.1758
He then remarries at Eynsham Phyllis Humphreys 8.10.1759 by licence ,both sign.
wit William James and John Hill
at Witney
Another son Thomas 6.7.1760

I can't find his first marriage or a christening for him.Could it be that he is Amy's brother or brother in law?
Have you looked for Wills for Simsons in Oxfordshire at and around Witney?
I've checked PCC Wills and no luck there but what about Oxfordshire Wills?

There is a Thomas Simpson/Sampson senior of Cogges Will 1729 who seems to be in the area of Witney.
He has a wife Grace and again i can't find a marriage.Their children don't seem to be coming up either.Children Elizabeth,Grace Thomas,John ,Jane ,Rachel and William.
Although his actual Will gives their surname as Sansom/Simsom
Son John and his wife Hannah seem to do all the children in one go at Witney 1748.

It's a matter of looking at all the Simsons in the area and trying to connect them up.
I don't know the area well enough to spot where is near to Witney

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby meekhcs » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:32 pm

The marriage record for Richard and Amy reads:-
"Febry 29 Richard Johnson of Ducklington and Amy Simson of y (this) Parish Banns" so it would appear she was from St Mary's Parish in Witney.

Edited: sorry my typo should be Febry 20
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:51 pm

Have you tried the Oxfordshire FHS? www.ofhs.org.uk
I would recommend an email to them to ask what records they hols forthetime and places you are interested in.
Hopefully as Amy gave her parish as Witney when she married any baptism for her would be recorded there. They offer a very reasonable research service and seem to have a lot of records available.
Following up on Adrian's idea I haven't found a marriage between a Mr Simpson and Amy.
meekhcs

Return to General research queries