Moderator Control Panel ]

Special Operations?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Special Operations?

Postby Hlmcgeary » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:24 pm

For a great related funny story, search Henry Charles Barefield, and the biscuit, a great story and lois’s Father. He sent one of the hard ration biscuits from ww1 back home to Lois and her mother as a letter. He obviously had the same sense of humour!
Hlmcgeary

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:49 pm

Hlmcgeary wrote:For a great related funny story, search Henry Charles Barefield, and the biscuit, a great story and lois’s Father. He sent one of the hard ration biscuits from ww1 back home to Lois and her mother as a letter. He obviously had the same sense of humour!

Great story, love these little snippets to add to the family history!
Just to clarify the family history - Edith Lois Barefield is the great-grand-daughter, through her mother, of my great-great-great grandfather's sister. Our common ancestor is Hannah Oliver of Warbleton, Sussex. Hannah had four children, three of them illegitimate, including both our ancestors. Lois' line of descent is Hannah Oliver - mother of Elizabeth Harriet Message (married John Funnell), Lois Funnell (married Julian Barnes), and Edith Emily Barnes (married Henry Charles Barefield).
Hannah had been married to a Message, but he was transported to Australia, and Elizabeth Harriet was born quite a few years later, in 1822, father unknown.
I descend from Stephen Carly Oliver, Elizabeth's half brother, who was quite a bit older. His brother, Benjamin went by the name Carly, and was a full brother, both sons of Benjamin Carly, a shoemaker.

Just checked the British Newspaper Archive and found a few items relating to Henry Charles. Looks like he stayed with the St. John Ambulance brigade until 1939.
DianaCanada

Postby Hlmcgeary » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:05 pm

Wow! Amazing info! Yes her dad was a brother in St. John’s ambulance, she showed me his medal from St. John’s ambulance recently, she is allowed to wear it as his daughter. I can’t wait to show her this thread. Did you get my email address? She is very intelligent, and craves things to spark interest. She still gets out and about, cooks for herself etc. I’m sure she will be fascinated.
Hlmcgeary

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:27 pm

Hlmcgeary wrote:Wow! Amazing info! Yes her dad was a brother in St. John’s ambulance, she showed me his medal from St. John’s ambulance recently, she is allowed to wear it as his daughter. I can’t wait to show her this thread. Did you get my email address? She is very intelligent, and craves things to spark interest. She still gets out and about, cooks for herself etc. I’m sure she will be fascinated.

She sounds wonderful!
I can see a couple of messages from you in the Private Message box, but they don't seem to contain anything. If not too much trouble, could you try again? I am also not getting mail notifications when this thread is added to, so maybe some technical glitch.
DianaCanada

Postby Hlmcgeary » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:17 am

Hi Diana yes i will try again, it won’t let me put my email here.
Attachments
0DE91C97-A126-4473-BF44-772CE5FD9DA0.jpeg
0DE91C97-A126-4473-BF44-772CE5FD9DA0.jpeg (119.6 KiB) Viewed 220 times
Hlmcgeary

Previous

Return to General research queries