Moderator Control Panel ]

Professional help

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Professional help

Postby SarahDevs » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:44 am

Thanks dianacanada - I'm not so keen on the dna route so am happy with speculation as to the father. Any confirmation would be a bonus!

What I'd really like to know is where Ethel Winifred was between 1911 and 1921...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
SarahDevs

Postby meekhcs » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:26 pm

Do you have access to Ancestry?

There is a tree on there for Winifred Ethel Lambert born 8 April 1911. Have you seen this?
meekhcs

Postby SarahDevs » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:43 pm

Meekhcs - I have indeed. It's not the same person but people have added her because at face value it fits. Unfortunately she then morphs into my grandmother in most trees and ends up marrying my grandfather and it all gets a bit complicated! (Not to mention inaccurate.) If you search on Ethel Winifred Horsham known as Lambert you'll find the correct info

SarahDevs

Postby meekhcs » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:49 pm

SarahDevs wrote:Meekhcs - I have indeed. It's not the same person but people have added her because at face value it fits. Unfortunately she then morphs into my grandmother in most trees and ends up marrying my grandfather and it all gets a bit complicated! (Not to mention inaccurate.) If you search on Ethel Winifred Horsham known as Lambert you'll find the correct info

Hi Sarah

Useful as Ancestry and the like are their Family Tree sections are their biggest downside as anyone can add any fact they like to their Trees whether it is right or wrong!!
I rue the day I ever put a tree on there even though it is private!
Will look at the correct Ethel
Sally

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:52 pm

What was the address on Ethels birth certificate and the informant......and the addresses on her Mothers marriage certificate forMother and partner?
Have you tried the following websites:
www.childrenshomes.org.uk
www.formerchildrenshomes.org.uk
www.workhouses.org.uk

As Ethel was illegitimate it was possible she was born in a workhouse if her Mother didn't have access to a hospital. It was oftened deemed safer to give birth there than at home. If so there may be records for her and her Mother from the local workhouse which may show where she was discharged to.
meekhcs

Postby SarahDevs » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:42 pm

Thanks Sally - she was born in a house in Newington which was probably/possibly a baby farm. I have an advert from a local paper where they advertised to 'take in' children. The 1911 census showed Ethel Louisa and two other single women at this residence who went on to have illegitimate children.

I have all details up to and including Ethel Winifred's birth in 1911 and all details once she was in the childrens home in 1921 - it's just the ten year in between that I know nothing about...

SarahDevs

Postby meekhcs » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:28 am

Sarah

I have read through the other posts you made earlier in the year.

Given the marriage certificate you have for Ethel's Mother to George HC Wilde, the knowledge that they moved to Tilshead in Wiltshire after marrying, and the details on your Grandmother's admission to the Childrens home, I don't think it is unreasonable to think that Ethel lived with her Mother after her birth, and continued to live with her after she married, moving to Tilshead with them. The mystery is why her name was changed, and why to Winifred Ethel Lambert?

Given that local school records have been destroyed, and that you have gleaned everything you can from the home she entered, I am not sure what else you can achieve. If her neglect was reported to the local council there may be local Doctor/Hospital/ Council records concerning her. Most of these would possibly be subject to the 100 year rule but it may be worth an enquiry. The local record office in Wiltshire may have some records.

As Mo suggested investigating Harry James Lambert is another option to look at but I note you have tried that already.

Apart from the 1907 newspaper articles there is nothing to suggest Thomas Mason was the Father of Ethel.

Researching the address her Mother gave on her marriage certificate in 1913 may yield something.

I cannot think of anything else that may help you.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby SarahDevs » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:13 am

Thanks for reviewing it all, Sally.

That's exactly my dilemma and a question without a definite answer - is there anything else out there? Certainly nothing glaringly obvious!

I know a huge amount compared to at the beginning of the year but I suppose we always hope for more...

SarahDevs

Postby meekhcs » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:34 am

Sarah
You have found more than most of us manage to.
A final thought - if it was me, for the moment. I would concentrate on Wiltshire. As well as the avenues I mentioned in my last post try local newspapers, even the address they lived at.
Good Luck Sally

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby elsabels » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:51 pm

As a late comer, I am not sure to which news article is referred to in 1907!
Dorking and Leatherhead Advertiser 12 October 1907

Refers to Mrs Mason being forced to leave the 'matrimonial home' she was baout to be confined, Mr Mason was not the father, her place being take by a servant who had a child.

It states that Mr Mason is not the father but a man named Thompson, are you aware of this child?

Maybe Mr Mason is the purported father of Ethel LC
elsabels

Previous

Return to General research queries