Moderator Control Panel ]

Mary Ann MARTIN/DAY/CHAMPKIN/?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Mary Ann MARTIN/DAY/CHAMPKIN/?

Postby sdup26 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:03 am

Mary Ann's maiden name on the births of her children with William Martin, is Wright, but she says her father is surname Bradford. You suggest this could mean an earlier marriage for her, but might it be an earlier marriage for her mother? That is, if Mary Ann's father was a Bradford, then her mother married a Wright, Mary Ann could take his surname, while still naming her birth father as Bradford.
sdup26

Postby SDV » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:13 am

Very true sdup26. I did raise this myself in an earlier post. Trouble is I can't find marriages for her mother, in particular for a Bradford to a Wright. If I could find this marriage, it would solve all the problems. I know that Mary Ann was born in Shadwell, but have no idea if that is where I should be looking for a second marriage for her mother.
SDV

Postby MayHam » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:07 pm

In Ancestry's Church of England records, there is a Maria Bradford born and baptised in 1810 at All Hallows, Tottenham to Elizabeth Bradford.

Did a quick search for any marriages of the children of Charles Bradford in the London CoE records.
The only remotely close one I found was Sophia b. abt. 1834 and married in 1862 in Southwark to Frederick Mann. Her father was a gardener. This Sophia may be the same one in Burrough Green, Cambridgeshire in the 1841 census where Charles was listed as born about 1791. I believe he died in 1846 age 57. I also note that Mary Ann listed her father as deceased in 1865 but not 1849.

Charles, as a batchelor, married Mary Jennings in Burrough Green in 1818. She died in 1830.
Widower Charles married Ann Thorogood in 1831 in Fulbourne All Saints.
Both of these can be found at https://www.freereg.org.uk
MayHam

Postby MayHam » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:05 pm

Just noticed on FindMyPast, Charles Bradford and Mary Jennings had at least five children, including a Mary Ann, born and baptised in 1822 in Burrough Green, Cambridge. Charles is a labourer.

Also, a Marianne Bradford married Joseph William Wright in 1846 at Saint George Southwark. She is a widow, born about 1809, the daughter of John Stubbs.
MayHam

Postby debsstock » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:47 am

Another possibility is that Mary Ann was illegitimate, with her mother's surname being Wright (and therefore Wright being her own surname), but she knew that her father's name was Charles Bradford, and she was therefore able to include that on her marriage certificate.
debsstock

Postby DebbieBB » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:36 pm

Hi there, the answer might be simply that Mary Ann's parents were not married. So long as Charles Bradford was openly acknowledged as her father or present at the marriage, then she would have been able to claim him as father for the purposes of the marriage records.
I suggest to look for a baptism of Mary Ann Wright first, possibly illegitimate. Child would have mother's legal surname at time of birth.
DebbieBB

Postby howardshelton » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:08 pm

My research into this case concurs with everything above. The only thought I can add is that WRIGHT might indeed have been Mary's maiden name but that she was born out of wedlock to a Miss Wright, but knew that her father was Charles Bradford...
howardshelton

Previous

Return to General research queries