Moderator Control Panel ]

Visiting Locations from own Family Tree

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Visiting Locations from own Family Tree

Postby ksouthall » Fri May 31, 2019 11:52 pm

A few years ago, I discovered that one set of my 5 x great-grandparents got married in Waterperry in Oxfordshire in 1749. I believe Amos Crymes met his future wife Elizabeth Shilfox while he was studying at Oxford University.

I posted on here a few years ago about having been past the sign for Waterperry Gardens on the M40 (topic6381.html). The church is right next door.

On Wednesday, we were on our way back from Birmingham so stopped off at Waterperry Gardens and also went into the church where I took a few photos.

It's not the first place of interest from my family tree that I've visited as I've also been to the church at Buckland Monachorum and had a look round one of the houses my family lived in there in the 16th and 17th centuries.

I was wondering if other people have visited places of interest to them and, if so, whether or not the places met their expectations.

I'm also lucky enough to have grown up in the village where my grandma's family were christened, married and buried between the 16th and 20th centuries and have visited the church and graveyard several times. However, I think I take it for granted as it seems more eventful going to somewhere as a one off. Has anyone else had the same feeling?
ksouthall

Re: Visiting Locations from own Family Tree

Postby meekhcs » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:58 pm

Glad you made it Katherine!

As a child I attended Wonston Primary School in Hampshire (which is actually in the next door village of Sutton Scotney).
Fast forward 50 years to my interest in Family History I discovered that my paternal line had lived in the village throughout the 1800s and very early 1900s. Even more amazing is that my niece currently lives in the same house that my ancestors lived in! She had no idea of the history of the house prior to moving in!!

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby junkers » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:19 am

I have been to a number of places, one in Belbroughton, Worcestershire, just south of Birmingham, looking for any sign of my ancestors in the 19th century as they were said to have been buried in the church itself. Little did I know beforehand was that the church was rebuilt in 1858 and although their burial places may be in the church on the floor there were pews and a carpet placed on them and I could hardly ask the vicar if he minded lifting it all out of the way. However there were a number of two of my families lines buried outside in the churchyard. Going on Saturdays is not a good idea as they may be weddings going on as I found out!.

My visit to Strichen in Aberdeenshire certainly met my expectations (the village has a preservation order on it) and I passed the house where some of my ancestors lived in the 1920s and 1930s and also went in one pub where they knew of one of my ancestors (known by her 'stage name' of Lorna Moon) who worked as a scriptwriter for MGM pictures in Hollywood in 1925-1930 and her written books got too close to the actual lives of the people when she was brought up in Strichen and apparently were true representations, warts and all and they were not best pleased. The old Kirk (church) was in ruins and there was a new church or two and I also saw the burn (stream) where my great-great-grandfather's body was found six days after he went missing in 1877.
junkers

Postby maxine tallon » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:13 am

I was quite lucky because my maternal grandmother came from Pimlico and as I lived in London I could wander round what is left of the area when ever I wanted. I always felt when I was in the older part of the area that I was walking in my Grandmother's footsteps.
My Paternal Grandmother came from Norfolk a village called Lyng and a few years ago I spent time in the area. Standing outside the Pub with the Church behind it was strange thinking that my grandmother had been married in the same church. There was also a small row of cottages leading from the church and in on census her family is listed as living next to "The Fox" and that was the name of the Pub! It was a good feeling.
My Maternal Grandfather came from a village called Oakley in N Bucks. I have been there several times but the village has changed so much due to being in the commuter belt I felt it had changed too much the only thing left was the Church.

Maxine
maxine tallon

Postby phsvm » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:17 pm

As a child I remember being taken to the village where my father's grandparents had lived in Northamptonshire. I haven't been back since but whilst looking through some old family photos I came across one of my great grandparents and their children standing outside their home.

With the use of google street view I was able to identify the house - still looking much as it had 100 years ago.

I would love to visit the village again sometime - one day - but it's worth remembering that even if we can't visit places we can do so much on the internet besides looking at documents. With census returns often only stating 'Village' or 'street' this is another way of adding to our family tree.
phsvm

Postby JaneyH » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:23 pm

I've had a few "field trips" with my family history research and on every occasion I've found it a very rewarding exercise. The best by far was back in 2014, when we had a short break in the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire - home to all of my Mum's paternal family. While the coal-mines my ancestors worked in have all closed it was wonderful to visit villages, churches (and churchyards) where they once lived. Quite unwittingly, I took a couple of photos of Gloucester Gaol (which had recently closed) only to discover a few weeks later that my great-grandfather had briefly 'done time' there!

More recently we stopped off in different villages in Devon on the way to and from a holiday in Cornwall. On the way down we stopped in the village of Brixton (not far from Plymouth) where we found the graves of three generations of my Scoble ancestors, all in a group together. Talk about a family gathering On the way back we stopped in the small hamlet of Coldridge in north Devon to find the grave of my great-grandfather. Quite by chance we also found the cottage where he lived (always helpful when properties have names rather than numbers). The best part by far was showing the photos to my Mum, who noted that the cottage still had the same ornate garden gate it had had when she visited as a child in the early 1950s!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby paulr1949 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:06 pm

I have visited four places connected with my family history (and hope to visit another in Norfolk this summer).
First was the churchyard in Wangford (near Southwold) in Suffolk, where my 3 x great-grandparents on my father's side are buried - I was rather taken aback to find 10 or 11 graves with my family name, many of whom I didn't know of. They are on the list of things to be investigated when I have time(!).
My great-grandparents on my mother's side were from Nottinghamshire (Arnold to be specific) and I visited their grave - and my mother's birth mother (who died when my mother was 2½). I also visited their house in Red Hill, where I can remember staying as a small boy (I can remember visiting when GGF was alive so that dates it to before or early 1956). It had electric power but gas lighting.
On a visit to the Scottish Borders 2 years ago I drove over to Hawick to use the FH centre there to try again to find my elusive 3x greatgrandparents' marriage - without success). I walked round the town and found the area "3rd Back House, High Street" where some of the family lived.
Finally last year we were on a holiday in Charmouth, Dorset with family and grandchildren, and there was an exhibition in the church on "1000 years of Charmouth" together with an accompanying book which I bought, and my 3 x great grandfather (paternal grandmother's line) was mentioned in it - he was Richard Gill, and was minister of what is now the URC (then an independent chapel), and he officiated at the marriage of his son there in 1840, which I believe was one of the earliest weddings in an independent chapel.
Paul
paulr1949

Return to Genealogy chat