Moderator Control Panel ]

Ancestry - Military Help

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Ancestry - Military Help

Postby smileylinge33 » Sun May 26, 2019 12:30 pm

Good afternoon Mick

The real aim of searching ancestry is to find all the missing pieces of Walter J Lodge.
as stated in previous posts, he died in 1945 when my mother was 2 years old. My nan was a closed book on all accounts for him, he always said we was an orphan bought up by Dr Barnardos, but when we followed this line of enquiry it quickly became clear this was not the case. Mum knew he was in army only for a short period of time and when nan passed away she had his army number so paid to have his full records, but even then it wasn't conclusive on his date of birth. She had a copy of my nan + grandad's marriage certificate but of course if said father unkown. The only lead she had was that on his discharge papers he wrote and address of his Aunt (Mrs Payne) can't remember address to hand, with a bit of research she was able to get marriage certificate of Mrs Payne to discover she was a lodge, and on that trace of line there were uncles that mum knew of, so she knew she was on the right path. My mothers name is Rosina Lillian Emily Lodge, she was always told that middle names were taken after grandparents, Emily she knew was her paternal grandmother side, so presumed Lillian was Walter's mother but on searching it came about as Lilla Emma, so that put us on a different track of searching. My mother has always been saddened that she didn't know anything about him. It has been me aim in life to solve the mystery one way or another!
smileylinge33

Postby MoVidger » Sun May 26, 2019 2:01 pm

According the 1928 newspaper mention, he was "brought up by the Braintree Guardians". If so, when when he handed over to them, and why? They appear to be a charity relief organisation. Perhaps more of a district Committee, rather than orphanage/workhouse. Something for you to research further?
MoVidger

Postby ianbee » Sun May 26, 2019 2:33 pm

It should be the Braintree Board of Guardians.
There are some records listed on SEAX, i.e.
Children's Home Admission register 1915-1948
https://www.essexarchivesonline.co.uk/r ... 4&id=82927

Says "Not to be produced until 2049. Enquiries and requests for review of closed records should be sent to the Essex Record Office, Wharf Road, Chelmsford CM2 6YT"

The Minutes should survive.
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sun May 26, 2019 2:43 pm

Marriage
March 1909 Romford 4a 461
Lodge, Lily
Tribe, William John

FreeBMD has postem with the details
ianbee

Postby smileylinge33 » Sun May 26, 2019 3:44 pm

Thank you very much for all your information, it has given us so much to work on, the links seem like they are following the correct lines:-
Fingers crossed we can solve the mystery.
smileylinge33

Postby smileylinge33 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:21 pm

carrying on with my research Lilla had a brother Walter J Lodge, suggested DOB: 26/08/1888, married Mary Saunders 30/11/1907 Otford Kent and died 27/03/1963.

It says on ancestry when Walter J lodge and his twin brother Walter J were born in 1890 Great Canfield, Essex. My question is:- are these Walter J Lodge twins, it's very confusing on the cenus search to find out.

I obviously have information regarding one of the brothers, but the other Walter does he exist or is it same person. It states Lilla as being half-sister. One of them is Charles G Lodge marrying Sarah Ann Neville and on other it just has Charles G Lodge, mother unknown.

I am so confused..........

I have also found out that Lilla's brother: Thomas W Lodge, born 1887 in 1881 census was in Union Workhouse Dunmow....not sure if this is relevant for the actual search of Walter J in Lilla's son.
smileylinge33

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:51 pm

smileylinge33 wrote:... It says on ancestry when Walter J lodge and his twin brother Walter J were born in 1890 Great Canfield, Essex. My question is:- are these Walter J Lodge twins, it's very confusing on the cenus search to find out. ...

Where does it say in Ancestry?

If you're looking at someone's tree(s) - then don't.

The 1891 Census only has one Walter J Lodge born 1890 Great Canfield, Essex. Same for the 1901. Ideally you'd look at the birth indexes (FreeBMD is good) to check that there's only one. I saw this one:
Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Births December quarter 1889 (>99%)
Lodge Walter John Dunmow 4a 597

Great Canfield is in the Dunmow reg district, so this is probably the one. You need to check that (a) there aren't any more and (b) that I got it right. So if I'm right, then there is only one.

Please don't imagine that I'm saying that all Ancestry trees are garbage. Some of them are garbage - but which? The halfway decent ones can be used for hints that you check up in real records like censuses and FreeBMD, etc. It's all too easy to get someone duplicated in an Ancestry Tree - I did it myself a week or two ago and only realised when I found someone with 2 spouses where there should be one.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Previous

Return to Military help