Moderator Control Panel ]

Brick wall- Patrick Riley

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Brick wall- Patrick Riley

Postby LJThomas » Mon May 13, 2019 7:06 am

I haven’t been able to find Patrick Riley as of yet on the Irish birth Records. On both his marriage certificate it says Roman Catholic. I don’t think he could read or write as both are marked with an “x” for his mark. I am beginning to wonder if he was born in England and just thought or was told Ireland.
There is a John and Bridget Riley in the 1861 Census Wardleworth, Rochdale with children all the same names but ages are way off. I am wondering if that John and Bridget had a son named John and he also married a Bridget. and they had my Patrick etc.
I also found a John Riley on the 1851 Census for Livesey, Feniscowles who was a widower 30 years old and a gardener living with his parents and children. But none of them were born in Ireland. I am beginning to think there were 2 John Riley's both Gardener's floating around the Rochdale area, or maybe he remarried and his 2nd wife was from Fermanagh.
I have found 3 marriage banns for a John Riley as a Gardener. 2 as a father for a Elizabeth Riley in Livesey and a John Riley in Wardleworth, Rochdale. This son lived on Red Cross Street which is beside Rope Street. The other marriage bann is for a John Riley himself as a (widower) gardener marrying Esther Thomlison in 1853 Whalley, Lancashire.
This Riley family has been a nightmare to trace. It doesn’t help that it was a very common name. I will keep searching though.
LJThomas

Postby MayHam » Mon May 13, 2019 5:04 pm

Can you provide more information about the 1861 census because I'm not finding it?
Also, the Margaret Riley registered in 1865 in Manchester to Mother Dawson may be a sibling of James (1861), Mary (1863), and John (1867).
MayHam

Postby LJThomas » Tue May 14, 2019 7:18 am

LANRG9_3041_3044-0610.jpg

I think I am just getting myself in knots with this Riley family. For some reason this side of my family has been the toughest to find.
LJThomas

Postby MayHam » Tue May 14, 2019 7:27 pm

Thank you, Find My Past lists them as the Riby family in 1861.
Also in 1861, in Manchester, is a John & Eleanor Riley with children Mary, John, Patrick (born 1857), and Bridget. It appears Eleanor was a Connally. Unfortunately, I can't find anything more about her.

One difficulty I'm having is finding ANY records from Crom. I *think* the registration district was Galloon but am not sure. It might be helpful to write to the Fermanagh Genealogy Centre to verify.
https://fermanaghgenealogy.org/
MayHam

Postby LJThomas » Wed May 15, 2019 8:33 am

I emailed them yesterday to enquire about the Riley's, so hopefully I will hear something back or be given a direction where to look. I haven't been able to find anything in Crom, Fermanagh either. I checked under many different spellings of Riley even O'Riley. My mother seems to think that her mom told her the last name was O'Riley because Grandma said it was a proper Irish name.
My cousin took the ancestry DNA and a 5-8 cousin comes back with Andrew O'Reilly b. 1823 Fermanagh, Ireland. He married a Ann Welch. Lived in the States. I am wondering if this could be John's brother.
Anyways, I will keep you informed if I get anything back from the Fermanagh ancestry group. I will also check out that 1861 census.
Thank you again for the help.
LJThomas

Postby LJThomas » Sat May 18, 2019 10:16 am

Just an update. I heard back from the people from Fermanagh ancestry. They mentioned a few different things to try. But also mentioned that John Riley being a Gardener may have worked at the Crom Castle as the gardener but not necessarily being born there in Crom. Which makes sense as Bridget Riley lists herself as being born in Cavan in 1891 census along with Daughter Margaret.
I really wanted to express great appreciation for the help you have given me as I have found Patrick's 2 baby boys being buried in the same grave as John and Bridget Riley.
Patrick's first son living at 4 Middle Lane in Rochdale. He must have moved back in with his parents after his first wife died in Jan. I am guessing a possible child birth issue. His son was Buried in Grave #20787. His second son from his 2nd marriage at 34 Rope Street also being Buried in Grave #20787.
In the 1891 Census Bridget was living with daughter and granddaughter at 4 Middle Lane.
After John died she must have moved to 7 Castle Street where she died.
On the Birth cert of Patrick's daughter in 1890 she is listed as being born at 5 Castle Street.
Thank you everyone so much for all the assistance and help you have given me. I spent months trying to figure this family out!
LJThomas

Postby MayHam » Sat May 18, 2019 8:42 pm

Thanks for the update and congratulations.
MayHam

Previous

Return to General research queries