Moderator Control Panel ]

Finding Jewish Ancestors

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Finding Jewish Ancestors

Postby d.e.gordon » Fri May 10, 2019 1:33 pm

About 50 years ago, my Aunt told me there was a Jewish Ancestor in "our" Tree, but I never asked who it was. DNA results now seem to support this fact as I have a 1% European Jewish result, but I can not find such a person

Can anyone suggest how I should search for such an Ancestor.
d.e.gordon

Re: Finding Jewish Ancestors

Postby MoVidger » Fri May 10, 2019 7:06 pm

This interesting article appeared in the April 2019 issue, and in the online WDYTYR "Features" section:

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine. ... h-ancestry
MoVidger

Postby junkers » Fri May 10, 2019 10:55 pm

As with all ancestry start from what you know and you may find it, but with a 1% chance of Jewish ancestry it might take some time. Have you tried the Jewish Genealogical Society.
junkers

Postby brunes08 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:33 pm

I have three friends who have Jewish ancestry. In all three cases, the individual person or family left eastern European countries or Germany at times when Jews suffered persecution. In all these cases, the families, at some point, anglicised their names so you may have to consider that when tracing you ancestors. This was often done when the world wars were imminent as anyone with a ‘foreign’ sounding name was considered suspect.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Return to General research queries