Moderator Control Panel ]

Burial

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Burial

Postby Nick_233 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:22 pm

I'm still in the dark about where my aunt Gladys Davies was buried after her accident in 1929 when she was burnt and died. She was just 16 yrs old.
I have tried all the cemetries in the Golders Green, Hendon area with no success. I have also tried emailing Surrey family history with no luck, despite their suggestions.
Would there be records for a paupers grave in 1929. I know my grandparents would not have had money for any sort of memorial
Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.
Nick_233

Re: Burial

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:37 pm

I can't help you with finding the info but there will definitely be a record somewhere. It may not be online, of course.

1. You mention Golders Green, Hendon - was that where she lived or where she died? Or both...

2. In fact, there isn't such a thing as a pauper's grave. Roughly speaking, a pauper's funeral would be paid for by the council. The grave itself might be "owned" by the council or by the family - when people say "pauper's grave", if they do mean anything specific, they mean a grave "owned" by the council - but lots and lots of graves were council owned and the funeral preceding the burial might not be a pauper's funeral. Most weren't, I think.

3. Memorials are yet another aspect - I suspect that a grave had to be owned by the family before a stone could be put on it.

4. Remember, she could have been buried in a church graveyard - while inner city church graveyards were usually closed by this time, elsewhere plenty are still open. Finding records for such church graveyards might be tricky as the registers might still be at the church.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby brunes08 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:23 pm

I have gt grandparents who both lived and died in the Finsbury Park area of North London. Both were buried in the cemetery at Kensal Green in West London. There are several cemeteries that were much closer. There seems to be no family reason for them being buried such a distance away from where they lived. You may need to look further afield to find where Gladys was buried.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby meekhcs » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:45 am

The West Middlesex Gazette dated 20 July 1929 carries a report on Gladys which states she was taken to Red-hill Hospital where she later died.
The hospital was situated north of the Edgeware Rd in the Burnt Oak area. It became the Edgeware General Hospital and I suspect is now the Edgeware Community Hospital. So as mentioned above it is possible she was buried further a field. According to The National Archives the London Metropolitan Archives holds patient and clinical records for 1928-1968 so you may glean some info there.
You said you had contacted the Surrey Family History Society, have you tried the Middlesex equivalent?
meekhcs

Postby elsabels » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:24 pm

To save others looking, this link is also related to the Aunt,

topic17515-10.html
elsabels

Postby elsabels » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:41 pm

Gladys M Davies died 20 July 1929, are you looking for a burial between this date and the date of any inquest?

It is usual to register a death within a short space of time after the event, therefore I would have expected to see a death entry in quarter 2, as the death is registered in quarter 3, there may have been an inquest, have you acquired the death certificate or looked at the newspapers covering the area of birth or where her family lived.?

If an inquest is involved, the Coroner once satisfied can authorise the release of the deceased for burial / cremation. Have you thought about the latter?
elsabels

Postby KayFarndon » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:01 am

I have read all the replies and would like to give my ideas Nick. I found Glady's death on FreeBMD and there were five deaths registered in Hendon in the September Quarter of 1929.
Do you have her death certificate?

In 1965 Hendon became part of the London Borough of Barnet and they do have a bereavement service. I would imagine that all records would have been transferred at the time.

I was looking for burials for my grandparents, only knowing they would have been buried in Southampton and I discovered the bereavement service at the council and they were able to tell me exactly where the burials were and via this I discovered another relative in the same plot.

I hope this gives you another idea of where to look and who to contact. There will be a record somewhere.
KayFarndon

Postby Nick_233 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:26 pm

Thank you to everybody who has responded to my call for help.
I have tried everything except the last one suggesting London Borough of Barnet. She was taken to Redhill Hospital Hendon where she died on the 11 July according to her death cert.
There was an inquest held on 13th July and the death registered on 15th July.
I have tried all the cemetries in the area plus deceased online and some suggestions from Surrey History society.
She was a domestic servant working for a family in Golders Green Road, Hendon but her parents were Welsh. Her body did not go back to Wales.
I will keep looking and hopefully eventuallyfind where she is.
Thanks again.
Nick_233

Return to General research queries