Moderator Control Panel ]

Birth and Baptisms

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Birth and Baptisms

Postby lauralem » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:39 am

Jumping on this thread a little late, but I understand from my own research that there was a very unpopular government tax enforced on the parish registers for a period during the 19th century. Some vicars were more diligent in applying it than others. I know I've seen on the records of some of my ancestors 'taxes paid' next to their entry. Perhaps this is the 'fee' that was spoken of before? (I believe the tax wasn't that long lasting, because it was so unpopular)
lauralem

Re: Birth and Baptisms

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:17 pm

Found a reference:
The Stamp Act of 1783 imposed a duty of 3d on all parish baptism, marriage and burial register entries as a means of raising revenue for the War of American Independence. Paupers were marked as such in the register which coincidently saw a marked rise in the levels of poverty in many parishes. The unpopular tax was repealed in 1794.

See URL https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/parish-registers-baptisms-parish/25/ - my emphasis on the dates.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Previous

Return to General research queries