Moderator Control Panel ]

Thru Lines on Ancestry DNA

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Thru Lines on Ancestry DNA

Postby tpiy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:52 pm

I have found Ancestry Thru lines very useful on my Mother’s side of my family but none show up on my Father’s side even though I have definite DNA links on that side with a second cousin who has done the Ancestry test. How do I access thru lines on my father’s side? I have traced both sides of my family back several generations using more traditional research methods.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
tpiy

Re: Thru Lines on Ancestry DNA

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:37 am

If I understand the basic idea of Thru Lines correctly, it shows people who
1. You have an Ancestry DNA relationship with and
2. You can be linked with through Ancestry family trees from various people, where the Ancestry software reckons that there is a match to get from one tree to another. And starting with the tree that your DNA relation has entered.

So my initial thought would be that possibly the Ancestry software hasn't yet got round to crawling round all the relevant trees that link you to your 2C. Certainly it took a while to get some links after I switched Thru Lines on. In fact, I might go and check my own later, to see if anything else has popped up.

Then there is the question of how big your 2nd cousin's tree is. Does it overlap with yours in a manner that Ancestry can recognize? (Do the trees have to be public for Thru Lines to work? Not sure)

That's my best guess from not a lot of knowledge....

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:26 pm

There are a lot of mistakes in my Thru Lines. It has my step-grandfather and his ancestors as my ancestors, as it links to my half first cousin, who IS descended from both of them. There are other mistakes as well.
DianaCanada

Postby tpiy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:03 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:If I understand the basic idea of Thru Lines correctly, it shows people who
1. You have an Ancestry DNA relationship with and
2. You can be linked with through Ancestry family trees from various people, where the Ancestry software reckons that there is a match to get from one tree to another. And starting with the tree that your DNA relation has entered.

So my initial thought would be that possibly the Ancestry software hasn't yet got round to crawling round all the relevant trees that link you to your 2C. Certainly it took a while to get some links after I switched Thru Lines on. In fact, I might go and check my own later, to see if anything else has popped up.

Then there is the question of how big your 2nd cousin's tree is. Does it overlap with yours in a manner that Ancestry can recognize? (Do the trees have to be public for Thru Lines to work? Not sure)

That's my best guess from not a lot of knowledge....

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app

tpiy

Postby tpiy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:07 pm

My tree has a lot of links with my second cousins and we both have quite large trees. From what I understand from what shows on my thru lines is that they draw up lines back to 5 or so Grandparents and show on some where are there are definite DNA links. No thru lines are shown on my paternal side at all. Thanks for your suggestions.

tpiy

Return to General research queries