Moderator Control Panel ]

C. Lawes

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

C. Lawes

Postby Susan » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:10 pm

I am seeking information on C. Lawes (possible Charles) he was a winner of a Boxing competition in 1934 the R.A.S.C. v 13th London Rgt. for which he received a cigarette lighter duly inscribed. I believe he came from Riddings in Derbyshire and was later killed in the Second World War. It is likely that he belonged to a Music Hall fanily who took the stage name of "Levaine". He is not a family member, but as a child he may have lodged with my Great Grandmother Sansam whilst his parents travelled to perform in theatres around Great Britain.
Susan

Re: C. Lawes

Postby ColinB » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:34 am

Hi,

This is an interesting query - I hope some of the following may help !

LAW(E)S/LEVAINE -- from the newspapers it appears that Gus LEVAINE was Harry Augustus LAW(E)S
b 1855 London. He is on the 1891 census as Harry A LEVAINE , theatre proprietor. He married several times , including in later life Fannie COLLINS in Derby in 1918.

There is a birth registration for Thomas C LAWES , mother Collins , in Belper , Mar 1915.

Looking for C LAWES who died in WW2 , the only likely result I found is for Thomas Christopher LAWES.
The CWGC record states : Thomas Christopher LAWES 45980 , RASC , driver , died 11 June 1945 aged 29 , widow Minnie LAWES of Cleethorpes. The entry on the 1939-1945 Roll of Honours states that this man was born in Derby and this ties in with the 1915 Belper birth I gave above.

I haven't been able to find a link to Boxing , but you say that the tournament was between the RASC and 13th London Regt so it seems that Thomas C LAWES may be your man.

I hope this makes sense !

Colin
ColinB

Postby ColinB » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:55 am

I looked a little further into the Lawes / Collins marriage and found some rather odd birth registrations , all in Belper with mother Collins :

Walter E LAWES Sep 1911
Charles LAWES Dec 1912
Gustave H LAWES Dec 1913
Thomas C LAWES Mar 1915

and then the following

Walter E LAWES Mar 1928
Charles LAWES Mar 1928
Gustave H LAWES Mar 1928
Thomas C LAWES Mar 1928

It appears that all four were born and registered before their parents' marriage in 1918 and then reregistered in 1928.
ColinB

Postby Susan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:34 pm

Thanks for the replies I have received most helpful
Susan

Postby grannyanna » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:40 pm

Hello
I am the granddaughter of Gustave H Lawes.
I know very little about his family pre marriage - I did already know that the family were on the stage and have heard the name Levaine before (didn't think of this spelling). I knew that he and his siblings spent time in lodgings while their parents toured but didn't know the name Sansam.
As far as I know there are no surviving descendants except my mother,me and my brother and our families but having discovered so much information here today I look forward to some further research.
grannyanna

Postby cranworth » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:36 pm

I the great grandson of Harry Augustus Lawes (Gus Levaine) and have researched the family extensively. My family tree on Ancestry contains information and photographs you will find interesting. Let me know if you would like to get in touch.
cranworth

Postby Cathynrichard » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:10 pm

Hi,
I am the Great Grand Daughter of Gus Levaine, my father knew Charles Laws as this was his Uncle . Charlie didn’t die in the war, but died circa 1962 of bowel cancer. We have a photo of him and my father. He lost a thumb while in the forces while unloading a truck and told my father that the thumb had been down into his abdomen to cause regrowth. If you have any questions feel free to message as we could try and answer them.
Cathynrichard

Postby Cathynrichard » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:12 pm

Just an addition. Gus Laviene has 4 wives and was a well know theatre producer. A well know song “daddy wouldn’t buy me a bow wow” was written by the family.
Cathynrichard

Re: Charles Lawes (Levaine)

Postby Resolve » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:10 pm

Cathy: I would be very interested to learn about Charles Lawes and see any photos you may have. Regards Mike
Resolve

Return to Genealogy chat