Moderator Control Panel ]

Which cottage is Tarn Wadling Cottage?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Which cottage is Tarn Wadling Cottage?

Postby Narnie » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:02 am

I'm trying to find the exact cottage named Tarn Wadling Cottage (Tarn Wodling Cottage on the 1871 census when the Millican family lived in it) near the village of High Hesket in Cumbria. I know about the nls.uk site but still can't find it. The below link is about Tarn Wadling... in the photo you can just see the ruin of the old boat house but I know that there is a cottage on the diagonally opposite corner of this wood called Tarn End, or maybe Tarn End Cottage. So, which one was Tarn Wadling Cottage? The old boat house, or the other one which is also very old but still in use. I feel that the boat house must have been a ruin for a very long time.

https://www.cumbriacountyhistory.org.uk ... background

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Narnie

Re: Which cottage is Tarn Wadling Cottage?

Postby meekhcs » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Have you seen this image from NLS? It appears to pinpoint the cottage.
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-01-26 GB1900 org overall progress dot map - collaborative historic Ordnance Survey place names project.png
Screenshot_2019-01-26 GB1900 org overall progress dot map - collaborative historic Ordnance Survey place names project.png (682.61 KiB) Viewed 862 times
meekhcs

Postby Narnie » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:00 pm

No I haven't seen that and it's exactly what I was looking for! I'm obviously not doing it right on the NLS site...

Thank you so much!

Narnie

Postby meekhcs » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:34 pm

I have just looked at the NLS website and I cannot see a direct link to the map above except by visiting the reading room?
The map was produced through GB1900.org, as you can see from the screen shot. I am a registered member of this organisation and completed a little mapping for them.
I retrieved the screenshot by logging into GB1900 and following the link to NLS where I had the option to view the whole map.
The GB1900 project is now completed but it may still be possible to register. If not then contact NLS and see what options there are to view it through them in case you need to research other places.
meekhcs

Postby Narnie » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:09 am

Many thanks for that extra information, it's proved very helpful. The GB1900 site seems 'locked' but after a bit of digging I ended up on the Vision of Britain site and there I found the same map you posted. After just a quick look I found something else that had been puzzling me so this is a great new resource for me. Thanks again. Btw, I've tried NLS before and didn't get anywhere then either... am I likely to be doing something wrong? I've seen others refer to it favourably.

Narnie

Return to General research queries