Moderator Control Panel ]

Can any one help with a timeframe for this coal merchant?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Can any one help with a timeframe for this coal merchant?

Postby farmerancestry » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:40 pm

Hi
Can anyone help with placing the timeframe of this old photo. Basically I was told it was my 2xGreat Grandfather and my Great Grandfather - however a cousin has been told it is my2xGreat Grandfather and my Great Grandfather's nephew, so I'm trying to work out which of us may be right. Useful information to this argument is that my Great Grandfather was born in 1904 while his nephew was born in 1929. My 2xGreat Grandfather was born in 1879.
Any ideas people?
All the best
Wayne
Attachments
George Farmer and Arthur Edwin Farmer small.jpg
My 2xGreat Grandfather (Standing) and another member of the family
George Farmer and Arthur Edwin Farmer small.jpg (176.53 KiB) Viewed 640 times
farmerancestry

Re: Can any one help with a timeframe for this coal merchant

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:00 pm

Well if Great Grandfather was born in 1904 while his nephew was born in 1929, and we reckon that the nephew is at least 20, then that photo would be done in 1949 or later. That doesn't seem right to me - horses on coal wagons are still fine but the tie / scarf / whatever looks wrong for post-WW2.

If, on the other hand, the younger is Great Grandfather, born in 1904, then that photo might be (by the same logic) 1924 onwards - which seems much more likely???? Maybe???
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby phsvm » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:59 pm

It looks as if there's some wording on the coal cart where the driver is sitting. Any chance of working out what it says? Maybe then a look in a local directory to see when the company was in business? That might give a timeframe.
phsvm

Postby farmerancestry » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:03 pm

Thank you for your help - I thought the 20's too which helps confirm my thoughts. Sadly the photo is an old copy of one that is somewhere else in the family and I don't have access too, and its not a brilliant copy at that, so reading the writing is hard to do. I assume it will be the "Cardiff Coal and Firewood Co. Limited" which is what it was called in one document from 1914.
farmerancestry

Return to Photo identification