Moderator Control Panel ]

Genealogist and or achivist as a career

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Genealogist and or achivist as a career

Postby steptacular » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:45 pm

Hi,

Can someone point me in the right direction of a change in career to a genealogist and then an archivist. Although technically we are genealogists, I would like maybe to become a researcher, perhaps private at first. What specific qualifications would I need?

Also what about an archivist. Again, what qualifications would I need? When, researching this before it seems to be quite an American stance. I'm in the UK.

Although saying that to be a private researcher you would look at archives and this would be by nature an archivist.

Thanks,

Rob
steptacular

Re: Genealogist and or achivist as a career

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:24 am

Rob,

To become a researcher, I suggest you investigate AGRA (Association of Genealogists
& Researchers in Archives). This seems to be the professional body that most independent researchers belong to. Their website will give you more information (https://www.agra.org.uk).

To my way of thinking, you don't need to be an Archivist to do genealogical research any more than you'd need to be a Librarian to use a Library. :D
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:04 pm

steptacular wrote:... Although saying that to be a private researcher you would look at archives and this would be by nature an archivist. ...

Err - no. At the risk of being thought pedantic, an archivist is one who looks after archives, cataloguing stuff, managing stuff, etc. Not a researcher. I suspect that it would be quite unusual to be an archivist who didn't occasionally do some research, but that's not the primary direction of their work.

Best to use the same terminology as others.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Guy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:29 pm

I sorry but I am afraid you have some way to go before even thinking about becoming a researcher or even an archivist.
I do not like not being encouraging, but it seems even a simple search on Google is beyond you at present.
For example typing “How to become an archivist” without the inverted commas into Google gives this UK site as the second return with two more UK sites as the third and fourth returns.

https://www.archives.org.uk/careers/car ... hives.html

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/archivist

https://ccskills.org.uk/careers/advice/ ... -archivist

A similar situation applies if “How to become a genealogical researcher” is typed into Google without the inverted commas.

Sorry for being so blunt, good luck.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby Rosemary Collins » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:49 am

Hi guys,

We've had a complaint about 'abusive' language on this thread. I've reviewed the posts and I don't think any of them meet the definition of 'abusive' or otherwise break the rules of the forum, and I appreciate the intention was to provide the original poster with honest advice. However, as a reminder, the community guidelines do stress that users should be courteous (topic10256.html) - some people are posting on this forum as beginners and may not know things that seem obvious to you. This forum is a great resource for family historians and we really appreciate the amount of time and effort people put into sharing their knowledge and advice - let's keep that friendly atmosphere going!

Thank you,

Rosemary
Rosemary Collins
Editorial Assistant
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Return to Genealogy chat