Moderator Control Panel ]

Confused - Different names

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Confused - Different names

Postby hmclem » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi Everyone. Was wondering if it is normal for a person to be called a few different names throughout their life.
I was convinced I had found my 2 x great grandparent from the information that I knew from my great grandmother.
Her name was Sarah Ann Maker born 21/03/1897. I knew her maiden name and exact birth as I have the original copies of her death certificate and her 2nd marriage certficiate. From here I ordered a copy of her birth certificate which showed her father as Cornelius Maker and her mother Rosina Bentley..

I then merrily went on my way to try and find out other facts about Cornelius and Rosina. I think I found the marriage between them in 1893 but this has his name as George Cornelius Maker. I cannot find any other marriages between a Maker and a Bentley.

I have found 6 sources which state his name as George Cornelius Maker. These include:
Christening record - For a child called Rosina. Thought this was him as the mothers name was Rosina.
Marriage certficate
Parish record of the marriage to Rosina Bentley

I then found 7 sources which I believe to be my 2 x great grandfather which state his name as Cornelius Maker. These include:
1881 census
1911 census - he is living with a Sarah Ann and a Rosina
1939 register - the name of the other person here is Phyliss which matches with a relative family members have told me about
Death index
Birth index
Probate index-the name of a person mentioned here is Phyliss which matches with a relative family members have told me about
Parish record - for the baptism of Sarah Ann

I then have 2 sources which I think are him but show his name was William Maker. These are:
Christening record for a child William Frederick Maker and the parish record for the same child.

I have looked as best I can to see if there is more than one person that these records could be attributed to but I don't think there is!

So my questions is, before I carry on trying to find information out about his parents and siblings etc, is it right that these are for the same person. Would someone be documented in their lifetime as 3 different names. Or have I got a few different people mixed up??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
hmclem

Re: Confused - Different names

Postby brunes08 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:47 pm

I have a gt gt grandfather who went through life using two surnames. He used his birth surname or his stepfather’s on different documents. I have others who chose a first name that bore no relation to that on the birth certificate. It’s one of those issues that can either make tracing the family extremely frustrating or great fun.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby avaline » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:08 pm

It sounds to me as though his full name was George Cornelius but in his day-to-day life he was known as Cornelius.

My sister uses her middle name on most documents, but the odd one, including her marriage, gives her full name. It isn't that unusual.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by having found a christening record & a parish record for William Frederick (is one just a transcript of the other?), but it seems likely that the vicar or whoever has simply made a mistake - the actual birth certificate should clear this up.

EDITED: Just noticed that you state his birth was just as Cornelius. If I have the right people then his father was George & died in 1883, so perhaps he used 'George' as a tribute to his father.
avaline

Postby sdup26 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:31 pm

Does it add to the confusion that on her marriage to George Cornelius, Rosina Bentley's father is named as Frederick Richards?
sdup26

Postby elsabels » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:10 pm

I have presumed that Cornelius MAKER was the one in Bristol

1939 Register
43 Colston Road
MAKER Cornelius 17 Jan 1872 retired docker
no surname given Phyliss 1 Oct 1913 TYpist ( Phylis Maher Married 1940 Leonard Arthur D WOOLLEN)

Grant of Probate was to Phylis Woollen
Name: Cornelius Maker of 43 Colston Road
Death Date: 17 Jul 1940
Death Place: Bristol, England
Probate Date: 11 Jun 1947
Registry: Bristol
elsabels

Postby hmclem » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:14 pm

Thanks everyone. Sounds like the man I have found is the right one :)

Sdup26 - this has baffled me for the last two years!!!! Can’t find Rosina Bentley birth anywhere. Have come up with a few theories but never quite proved then or happy to make the assumption that they are right.
hmclem

Return to General research queries