Moderator Control Panel ]

DNA: Scandinavia

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

DNA: Scandinavia

Postby junkers » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:52 pm

Re Rosemary Collins' article on the Magazine home page, it seems to me to be that It is a bit odd that ancestry think it is a good idea to split Scandinavian heritage into Norwegian and Swedish ancestry, they seem to have never heard of Denmark or Finland which are as far as I know are part of Scandinavia.
junkers

Re: DNA: Scandinavia

Postby Rosemary Collins » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:22 am

Hi Junkers,

Apologies, I only just saw this post. I gather Denmark isn't large enough to have its own region - a person from modern-day Denmark might see their DNA on Ancestry as a mix of Norway, Sweden, Germanic Europe, England, Wales, and North West Europe.

Finland is its own separate region. Interestingly, I visited Finland over the summer and it's definitely not "part of Scandinavia" - it's very distinct culturally and linguistically as well as genetically. Finns don't consider themselves to be Scandinavians and are offended at the idea, since their country was occupied by Sweden from the 13th century until 1809 (and then by Russia until it gained independence in 1917 - "Swedes we are not, Russians we do not want to become, let us therefore be Finns" was a popular independence slogan.)
Rosemary Collins
Editorial Assistant
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Return to Genealogy chat