Moderator Control Panel ]

War Records Help Please!!

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

War Records Help Please!!

Postby gemma oborne » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:15 pm

Hello,

Im hoping someone out there can help me. Im completely new to this, and seem to have got stuck at the first hurdle!
Im trying to find out my grandads war service records. My autistic son has become fascinated with WW2, and when i told him he was named for my grandad who served he was desperate to find out as much as he could about him.
The problem is Ive ben to ancestry and forces war records and am coming up blank!
I dont have a lot of information, and he died in 1992, and would never talk much about where he was or what he did.
His name was Frederick samuel baker. born August 1918 in the birmingham area. My mum seems to think he was royal artillery but isnt 100% sure on this.
Things we know.
He spent time in belgium
He was evacuated on the last boat out of dunkirk
He spent time as a search light operator in a small village in north dorset.

Where else can i look to find some information??

Thankyou inadvance for any help, advice or guidance you can give

gemma
gemma oborne

Re: War Records Help Please!!

Postby phsvm » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:13 am

You'll need to apply for his records. To do this you need to prove you're entitled to them but it's pretty straight forward.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
phsvm

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:58 am

Hi Gemma,
I applied for my dads army service record last year.It costs £30 but is well worth it.
On the form you will need either his date of birth OR his service number. Only one is mandatory.
You need a copy of his death certificate and proof you are next of kin. I was the informant on my dads
death certificate listed as daughter, so that was enough.The forms at first glance look a bit daunting
but are quite easy.Good Luck
Grace. :D
Amazinggrace

Postby meekhcs » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:46 pm

You write as though your Mum is still alive? If so She would be next of kin so it would be simplest to appy in her name.
meekhcs

Postby avaline » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:56 pm

There is a newspaper report in September 1943 about the marriage of Frederick Samuel Baker, youngest son of Mr & Mrs Baker of Birmingham, to Muriel Adlam. Is this your grandfather? If so then there is no mention of him being in the military and he is referred to simply as 'Mr', but the best man was his brother, Lieut A Baker.

ADDED: The marriage was at Marnhull, so it fits with your comment about Dorset.
avaline

Return to Military help