Moderator Control Panel ]

Jonnie Peacock's episode

A place to chat about the 15th series of the genealogy programme, which will feature stories from Olivia Colman, Lee Mack, Boy George and more

Jonnie Peacock's episode

Postby Jon Bauckham » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:05 pm

Hello everyone,

Just a quick reminder that Jonnie Peacock's episode Who Do You Think You Are? will be airing on BBC One tonight at 9pm (10.45pm in Scotland) – the final instalment of the series!

Taking place in Liverpool and Cambridgeshire, the programme follows the athlete as he investigates his grandfather's sporting career, as well as the sad plight of a 19th-century rural ancestor.

As ever, feel free to share your thoughts on Jonnie's programme below. We hope you've enjoyed the series!

Best wishes,
Jon
Jon Bauckham

Re: Jonnie Peacock's episode

Postby PostedPast » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:13 pm

A very low-key finale but a fascinating episode. What a tough life our ancestors endured.
PostedPast

Postby junkers » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:53 pm

I thought I was quite a good episode, despite an obvious issue (what does it mean when she writes X' and it says her mark on a certificate mean!). Incidentally the document from Huntingdonshire Archives is listed on The National Archives catalogue under 'other archives'. It may seem distant but it was not until Jimmy Hill pressed for and it was agreed that professional footballers (men) should be paid more than the ceiling of £10 per week (I think it was) in the early 1960s.
junkers

Postby HardWork » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:20 pm

I thought it was almost exceptional in all the WDYTYA series in that it dealt with the situation of the rural poor in England. When you consider that most of us have agricultural labourers in our family trees, it could be considered odd that WDYTYA only seems to deal with them when they move to larger towns or cities. Maybe it is a lack of resources illustrating their lives that is missing for them to merit more focus. Another item vaguely touched on was that when we see the term "agricultural labourer" it actually covered jobs of skill, such as the Millicent's horseman as mentioned, or shepherds who are not always listed as such in earlier census returns, though increasingly in later ones.
HardWork

Postby ksouthall » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:27 am

junkers wrote:I thought I was quite a good episode, despite an obvious issue (what does it mean when she writes X' and it says her mark on a certificate mean!).

I didn't see this as an issue. Jonnie Peacock was only 24 when the episode was filmed and has probably never seen a BMD certificate before. Why assume that everyone knows what the X means? I think it was good that he highlighted this as many non-genealogists amongst the audience may not be aware of this, especially younger people. If he has never watched the series before, why would he know?

My children would probably know what the X means but only because they have seen BMD certificates, usually against their will!
ksouthall

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:56 am

I’m with junkers on this one. Whether or not one has seen a BMD certificate before, surely it is obvious that a document signed ‘X the mark of...’ meant the signee couldn’t write their name. It isn’t just genealogy resources that use that term!
Mick Loney

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:41 am

I hadn't heard of Jonnie Peacock, but what a nice young man...very impressed with him! I appreciated the fact that his background was humble and just English...no running off to exotic locales :) while interesting, the latter doesn't reflect most of us, I would think.
DianaCanada

Postby Gilly72 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:14 pm

This episode was ok, and I liked Jonnie (despite the fact that he did not know what the X meant ;) )but to be honest I haven't really enjoyed an episode of WDYTYA since series eight. I will still always watch it as I love family history and have been doing it for a long time. Moreover, I always live in hope that the next episode will be better and there is nothing much else on TV these days anyway!
However, something has definitely changed in the format that lets it down, which is a shame because there is some great stories here (some of them heart-rendering) and I don't think it is necessarily the celebrity's fault (even if I don't always know who it is, but that is probably my age). There is to much sitting at a table with an expert being passed a certificate or some other document, and then a few minutes later sitting down at another table being passed another document by another expert. There seems to be a lot of repetition and going over old ground: I just want them to get on with it and for the celebrity to at least look like he/she is doing the research and actively engaged, not just sitting there being handed a certificate making wistful comments. I understand that it is not about name collecting and that you do not have to go back far to make an interesting programme, but there is something lacking within the programme itself and I am not sure what it is. I think I have suggested this before but if someone goes back to Bill Oddie's episode and then watches this episode, someone might get what I mean!!
Gilly72

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2018