Moderator Control Panel ]

What a great episode!

Discuss the wildlife TV presenter's episode of the show

What a great episode!

Postby Editor » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:20 pm

Talk about having some impressive ancestors to live up to! If you enjoyed that episode, do watch out for our interview with Kate Humble in our next issue.
Editor
Site Admin

Re: What a great episode!

Postby Geordie Lass » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:09 am

I've just finished watching my video of the Kate Humble episode that I taped last night. I was absolutely enthralled as this episode gave me insights into two of the areas I've been researching.

My family are originally from the North East of England and I have numerous coal-miners from both Northumberland & Durham in my tree- some of them killed in mining disasters so it was extremely interesting to see the research into Kate's mining ancestry. But of even more interest was the history of her maternal grandfather who was a POW in WW II. This struck all sorts of chords as my own father was a POW in a labour camp at Olbendorf on the border of Austria/Hungary and he too was part of the long march, although in his case only from his POW camp to Salzburg. I have his notes that detail how the POWs were marched from village to village over a period of 6 weeks

I'll be looking forward to next month's magazine and the interview with Kate!
Geordie Lass
Ex-pat geordie researching: Burn, Taylor, Atkinson, Archer (Whickham Co Durham) Bell (Usworth, Co Durham) Walmsley (Lancs & Co Durham) Donnelly (Whickham & Ballymacnab Co Armagh)
Geordie Lass

Postby Lizhen » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:35 pm

I wondered why no comments about the Kate Humble programme and then discovered a thread on the Forum ' Talk Aobut The Show' with several comments and contributed there. Thought I would mention it incase others have wondered....
Lizhen

Postby pre1837 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:24 pm

Yes, the Editor started a second thread after the 'Kate Humble' one had been established.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby JohnS » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:01 am

Lizhen wrote:I wondered why no comments about the Kate Humble programme and then discovered a thread on the Forum ' Talk Aobut The Show' with several comments and contributed there. Thought I would mention it incase others have wondered....

pre1837 is right - I started "that" thread straight after the programme as there was no "official" sub-forum to talk about the programme then. I've been to Woodhorn several times, so it was good to see that.
JohnS

Postby Anne Bridger » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:41 am

This was the best ever episode since the series began. Kate Humble is always good to watch/listen to, and her family story was absolutely gripping. Well done, BBC - and congratulations to the Humble/Carter families. Perhaps you could do a future programme featuring more of her ancestors, eg the Canadian connection?
Anne Bridger

Postby terryboden » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:57 am

THE EPISODE ON KATE HUMBLE WAS THE BEST SO FAR IT JUST GOES TO SHOW YOU WHAT CAN BE FOUND ABOUT YOUR FAMILY THE MAGAZINE AND THE TV SERIES ARE NUMBER ONE
TERRY BODEN
terryboden

Postby JMP » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:13 am

Sorry --- I have to disagree. I like Kate Humble very much & I felt that she was being manipulated by the programme makers.
I found this episode frustrating & doubted some of the 'facts' presented. It was a great story but we know very little about Stan & his PoW status, yet we were even treated to a clip from 'The Great Escape' to give an even more 'gung-ho' slant to his story.
I preferred the Kim Cattrall episode which showed Kim's mum & aunts finding out about their bigamist father.
JMP

Postby BobsyWobsy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:25 pm

I found it very interesting especialy the visit to the RAF Museun. Made me wonder if IanThirsk was a Relalive. makes you sit up when you hear your surname mentioned.

Cheers Bob T
BobsyWobsy

Return to Kate Humble