Moderator Control Panel ]

Robert Rinder's episode

A place to chat about the 15th series of the genealogy programme, which will feature stories from Olivia Colman, Lee Mack, Boy George and more

Robert Rinder's episode

Postby Seth Burgess » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:25 am

Hello again everyone. Tonight's episode of Who Do You Think You Are?, on BBC One at 9pm, sees Robert 'Judge' Rinder investigate his Jewish roots. As ever, please do let us know what you thought of the episode once it's aired.

Thanks.

Seth Burgess
Production editor
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine
Seth Burgess

Re: Robert Rinder's episode

Postby PostedPast » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:04 pm

One of the most harrowing episodes ever aired.
PostedPast

Postby junkers » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:00 pm

I thought it was well-covered, somewhat surprised that the filmmakers didn't get Moses Malenicky's British Naturalisation file opened under Freedom of Information Act from The National Archives as it should contain details of his life, the reference is HO 405/38349: 1957-1958: Nationality and Naturalisation: MALENICKY, M Date of birth 11/02/1923 (closed until 2058). I would expect that the ITS (International Tracing Service of the International Red Cross in Geneva) and the Wiener Library for the history of the Holocaust, it is in London to be mentioned. As far as Friern Barnet Hospital went the treatment (or lack of it) was probably standard for the time.
junkers

Postby Tabithabenef » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:16 pm

It was a very interesting programe and what a wonderful family he has, so many of them.

Wasn't so sure about the 2nd half as it didn't seem to fit.

He was so lovely with all the people in Poland and Germany too. He really is very likable.

I didn't realise so many of the camp children came to England. His pronunciation was spot on and it helped me with some names way back in our tree.
Tabithabenef

Postby JaneyH » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:40 pm

I really enjoyed this episode. While I knew very little about Robert Rinder beforehand, he came across as a very thoughtful and humble person in relation to the experiences of his ancestors, especially in terms of the Holocaust survivors.

One aspect for me was particularly poignant, which was when he read the medical records of his great-grandfather, Israel Medalyer. I have located the records of my great-grandmother from her extended stay in a mental hospital (then called the county asylum), and where she died in 1952. So far I haven’t made any move to view the records but now I wonder if I should.
JaneyH

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Janey, you should get the records. Just be careful if there is still anyone around who's closer to her than you and might not be able to handle it as well. I held off getting the records of my GG GM while Dad was still alive because this was the mother of his much loved granddad.

Eventually I got them because it paid tribute to her, and her family, to understand her circumstances. There were several poignant details - her stepson, for instance, seemed yet again to be a rock on which his father (my GG GF) relied. And they got the authority to admit her to Dundee Asylum late on the Friday but nothing could happen until the Monday. God, that must have been a long weekend.

So I kid myself perhaps I understand a little about the conflicted feelings that Robert Rinder might have had.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby JaneyH » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:51 pm

Thanks for that, Adrian38.

My Mum and uncle are still alive and well so I’ll need to tread carefully. Neither of them knew their grandmother as my great-grandfather had already moved on in life (my posts on Florence Brooks and Oliver William Bowdler tell the story). Mum had always assumed that her grandmother Lilian Maud had died in the 1920s, so you imagine her shock when I discovered that she had lived another 30 years (i.e. overlapping into her own lifetime) and most of it in mental institutions.

Devon is a long way from me in Kent but we have a family break in Cornwall at autumn half-term so perhaps I should factor in a stop in Exeter en route. I’ll do some more thinking!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby PostedPast » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:25 pm

What fascinating comments - all relevant, all personal.
PostedPast

Postby Singleton1922 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:44 pm

It was a very good episode and covered so much ground. I too found the subject very likeable.

Janey, I would agree with Adrian’s comments and although you need to be respectful of your mother’s feelings it’s worth pursuing.
I would advise you to start preparing for your visit to the archive in advance. The Exeter archive can let you know exactly what records they hold. They will also give you contact details for the nhs ‘health and social care records team’. You will need to email asking for permission to view the record. Once granted you should contact the archive again to arrange your visit. They can then prepare the record so that you only have access to the record you need and not the rest of the book.

I did this for my g grandfather’s record and as well as giving background to his illness also included a photo.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead

Sandra

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Singleton1922

Postby Amazinggrace » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:43 pm

I didn't know anything about Robert Rinder before the programme,but found the episode very interesting.He is a very likeable character.Very poignant in parts.Made me think, as my dad was one of the first allied soldiers into Belsen.Like most soldiers he didn't speak about his war but said he would never forget liberating Belsen.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2018