Moderator Control Panel ]

How to prove this is the DC of my William HUMPHREY?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

How to prove this is the DC of my William HUMPHREY?

Postby bookworm » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:58 pm

After many years of searching I may have found the DC of my great great grandfather William Humphrey. The trouble is, I can’t be certain it’s really him! My William lived in various parts of England as a navvy and was most recently in Norden, Lancashire in 1901. By 1911, his ‘wife’ (whom he never married) and children were living in Bolton. The most likely DC I can find for William is in Barrow in Furness in 1907. He died in the Barrow Workhouse Infirmary and was described as an ironworks labourer living in Parker Street. I have searched the 1901 census of Barrow and can’t find a William to match this DC. Can anyone think of another way I can check if this William does belong to me?

Joanne

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Best regards
Joanne
bookworm

Re: How to prove this is the DC of my William HUMPHREY?

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:17 am

You could try looking for an on-line burial for the individual, this may give extra details you could check, failing that, you may have to fork out for the actual DC (£6 for PDF version from GRO).

TIP:
Try looking for him in on-line trees, someone may have added his DC as an associated image. I say this from experience, as i was in a similar sitaution, but when I found a copy of his DC on-line, I saw that the informant was known to me, and proved it was correct DC.
Mick Loney

Postby AntonyM » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:25 am

Who was the informant that registered the death - can you find a family connection ?
AntonyM

Postby bookworm » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:02 pm

Thank you for your replies. I do have the DC but the problem is that because I had no prior knowledge of his having been in Barrow I can’t cross reference his address against anything. His profession is simply ‘labourer’ which could work as I know my William was a navvy and occasionally listed as a labourer. His death was notified by the master of the Workhouse, so again, I can’t cross reference this against anything I already knew about his family.

I have been in touch with Barrow archives and they have been extremely helpful. A lady there looked at the Workhouse admissions registers and confirmed that William had been in and out of the Workhouse several times since 1905 but none of the records include any additional information such as a date of birth.

Joanne

Best regards
Joanne
bookworm

Postby ianbee » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:34 pm

The only death in Barrow that I can see was in late 1910
Dec 1910 Barrow F. 8e 530
Humphrey, William
age 63

bookworm wrote:By 1911, his ‘wife’ (whom he never married) and children were living in Bolton.

I remember them well!
Last two children's births seem to be
June 1903 Rochdale
Humphrey, Thomas
mother Richardson

Dec 1906 Oldham
Humphrey, Harry
mother Richardson

Have you got Harry's birth certificate?
ianbee

Postby bookworm » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:21 pm

ianbee wrote:The only death in Barrow that I can see was in late 1910
Dec 1910 Barrow F. 8e 530
Humphrey, William
age 63

bookworm wrote:By 1911, his ‘wife’ (whom he never married) and children were living in Bolton.

I remember them well!
Last two children's births seem to be
June 1903 Rochdale
Humphrey, Thomas
mother Richardson

Dec 1906 Oldham
Humphrey, Harry
mother Richardson

Have you got Harry's birth certificate?

Hi Ian

Yes, that’s the correct family and the DC you refer to is the one I have. I don’t have Harry’s BC yet but I think that needs to be my next port of call because he wasn’t registered until the last quarter of 1906, however, the William who died in Barrow first entered the workhouse there in 1905.

This would suggest either a. William was not Harry’s father; b. William was traveling between Barrow and Oldham (Harry was born before the family moved to Bolton); or c. there are two different Williams and the one in the Barrow DC is not my ancestor. Harry was given the surname Richardson and he names William as his father on his MC

Best regards
Joanne
bookworm

Return to Genealogy chat