Moderator Control Panel ]

Lee Mack's episode

A place to chat about the 15th series of the genealogy programme, which will feature stories from Olivia Colman, Lee Mack, Boy George and more

Lee Mack's episode

Postby Seth Burgess » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi all. Just a quick reminder that Lee Mack's episode of Who Do You Think You Are? is airing tonight, Monday 16 July, at 9pm on BBC One. We'd love it if you could drop by after the episode has aired and tell us what you thought.

Seth Burgess
Production editor
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine
Seth Burgess

Re: Lee Mack's episode

Postby coopernicola » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:41 pm

After I watched last week (Olivia Coleman ep2) I went to set my Skybox up for the series and it listed Lee Mack as ep4. Where had ep3 gone? I doubled checked, no ep3. This week the Lee Mack episode is listed as ep3. Is it me?
Nicola

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
coopernicola

Postby junkers » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:18 pm

Not that exciting, I thought it was ok. Looking forward to Boy George next week.
junkers

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:47 am

Rather thin in comparison to the first two episodes. WHY did they not follow up on the lead to Canada?
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby KayFarndon » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:25 pm

Dare I say I found it somewhat boring and slow. I was annoyed at the start when the first birth certificate was shown, that there was no mention of who the mother was!

Lee had already said he wanted to know who and where Gladys fitted into the family and it was quite a while before she was mentioned.

I found the constant quipping irritating too. I so wanted to go back in time, but that did not appear to be the intention of this episode, just more about one person.
KayFarndon

Postby coopernicola » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:41 pm

Brummie on Exmoor wrote:Rather thin in comparison to the first two episodes. WHY did they not follow up on the lead to Canada?

My thought too!
coopernicola

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:43 pm

Brummie on Exmoor wrote:... WHY did they not follow up on the lead to Canada?

Maybe they tried but all the trails ran cold? It does happen! :-)

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:42 am

Totally understand that it might have run cold, or even that any Canadian family didn't want the intrusion. But perhaps they might have just acknowledged that it had been considered.....

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:23 am

Brummie on Exmoor wrote:... But perhaps they might have just acknowledged that it had been considered.....

Indeed - those of us who like i's dotted and t's crossed are probably going to be disappointed. ;)

I rather liked the episode - the idea of there being a troupe of entertainers even in the middle of the Somme was unexpectedly human. Lee's ignorance of the significance of guns being fired in Ireland in 1922 is, unfortunately, typical of most of us on mainland Britain and it does us no harm to be reminded of the tragedy of the Irish Civil War.

I did have a slight annoyance - Lee wanted to find out why his G-GF had been awarded a medal. Unless I'm very wrong, the medal in question was a campaign medal - by not resolving that, the viewer might think that a specific act of bravery was being ignored.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:41 pm

Yes, it looked as though it was the Victory and/or War Medal, or possibly (given that he got out there late in 1915) the 1915 Star. As you say, another instance of them not quite dotting all the i's.

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Next

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2018