Moderator Control Panel ]

Help chasing birth records

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Help chasing birth records

Postby woodchal » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:33 pm

So 1907 births for .... Richards

There were 219 ... Richards births in the country in 3rd Qtr 1907. There are 207...Richards births in the 2nd qtr.

A quick look through these 426 didn't show up any with Joshua as a middle name.

Perhaps this one from Birmingham is worth considering
RICHARDS, JOHN - mother's maiden name COYNE 1907 S Quarter in BIRMINGHAM Volume 06D Page 47.
woodchal

Postby coopernicola » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:29 pm

If you follow Joshua John Richards further you find a baptism at All Saints, Birmingham on 18 May 1910 - son of Albert & Alice Richards. It also gives fathers occupation as jeweller, so not likely to be the man we are searching for. N.B. There is also a DoB 27 July, but no year (in 1911 census he is listed as 21 months old). Hence I believe this man to be different to the Joshua Richards we are looking for, he appears to be 2 years younger which tallies with the 2 different men’s death registrations mentioned earlier.
coopernicola

Postby woodchal » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:57 pm

I agree - It was always unlikely to be Joshua John given the date difference, but it was the only Joshua Richards birth within 5 years on the gro birth index, so I thought it was worth mentioning, so that it could be investigated and ruled out - good digging.

Mother’s maiden name would crack the case!
woodchal

Postby coopernicola » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:19 pm

ianbee wrote:I would say, if you can't find Joshua, look for Harry (Henry?) the puddler in Bradley. There may be one in 1911.
Ian

There is indeed a Henry Richards, puddler in 1911 at 21 Stoke St, Bradley. The family includes a ‘J Thomas Richards ‘. Annoyingly he turns out to be John Thomas Richard b1904 (MMN Hartstone).
Back to the drawing board!
coopernicola

Postby woodchal » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:06 pm

angeljayne - did your grandfather have any brothers or sisters, as their names might be a way of tracking down the family in various records. Anything found out could then help identify your grandfather's records.
woodchal

Postby ianbee » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:17 pm

We have not been able to find a Joshua Richards as yet, so could he possibly(!) have been adopted? And given the name Joshua by his new parents?
If he was adopted by Henry the puddler in Bradley, there is no sign that it had happened by 1911. They had five children then , the youngest was 5, I don't think they had any more.
Henry's wife was Alice, nee Hartshorne. I have an idea who she is (or ought to be), her father was Thomas on the marriage in Bradley, but her details in 1939 (if it is the right Alice) don't seem to match up.
Joshua was quite a popular name in various Hartshorn(e) families in Staffordshire. And the Alice who I had hoped was Henry's wife had a young brother Joshua in 1891.
Ian
ianbee

Previous

Return to General research queries