Moderator Control Panel ]

RAF pilot ID

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

RAF pilot ID

Postby PR_56 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:07 am

I am hoping to identify the pilot in this photo, which belonged to my late mother-in-law, Sima. She was a young hostess at the Music Box Canteen in New York City in the early 1940s, and I can only guess that she met this flier when he was going to or returning from training in the US and they became pen pals. Perhaps she knitted his scarf. It looks to me like the inscription reads "Sima—love Trevor" (or perhaps Steven?), and he is standing on a dirt road with a fence and quonset huts behind—probably an airfield. Any help with his ID or location would be appreciated!
Attachments
RAF flier.jpg
RAF flier.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 264 times
PR_56

Re: RAF pilot ID

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:48 pm

All I can tell you is that he's a qualified pilot (because of the wings) with a rank of sergeant. (Does this mean that he was referred to as Sergeant Pilot?)

Beyond that, I'm stuck.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby PR_56 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks Adrian!
PR_56

RAF pilot ID

Postby brunes08 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:15 pm

I suggest you contact the RAF Museum and archive. They may be able to help narrow down a base. I've just had a peep and found that there were 5 pilot training bases in the USA during the 2WW. Most of the RAF pilots were trained overseas in various countries. I've always found the Museum staff to be very helpful.
www.rafmuseum.org.uk

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
brunes08

Postby LelandJackson » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:08 am

AdrianB38 wrote:All I can tell you is that he's a qualified pilot (because of the wings) with a rank of sergeant. (Does this mean that he was referred to as Sergeant Pilot?)

Beyond that, I'm stuck.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app

I was going to say the same, not very much can be surmised from the photo other than the information Adrian provided based on the wings. Is there any other information that you can provide along with the photograph perhaps?
LelandJackson

Postby PR_56 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:23 pm

Thanks, I will try the RAF Museum. I have already done what I can with online resources—dating uniforms, pilot lists, WWII airbase sites, etc. Unfortunately he was just in a box of photos, and my mother-in-law has been gone for many years. No relation, but I'd like to know what happen to him.

Any thoughts on the signature other than Trevor?
PR_56

Return to Photo identification